The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87418 - 03/07/04 03:33 PM AFCI's Track Record?
George Little Offline
Loc: Michigan USA
The State of Michigan finally adopted the 2002 Edition of the NEC. The hold up was blamed on the builders association determination to have the requirement for AFCI protection removed from the Michigan Electrical Code. (NEC + Amendments = Michigan Electrical Code) Can some of this group give some critique on AFCI's? The 1999 Michigan Electrical Code had AFCI's removed from the code. Thanks gang in advance for your report.
#87419 - 03/08/04 08:09 PM Re: AFCI's Track Record?
Active 1 Offline
Loc: Grayslake IL, USA
I hate AFCI.
We did an appartment building with 100's of those. It seemed like 1 in 6 or 8 appartments would have one trip right away. After pulling everthing all apart and checking for nutrals, nick wires, bad splices, etc. nothing was ever found but the trouble would go away. Everything was fine (all #12's in pipe with ground wire).

I can't say for sure but it seemed like it had something to do with the closet floresents. I think if 2 of these lights tried to turn on at the same time (by turning on the breaker with the light on) it would cause a faulse trip. While messing around with things looking for the trouble one light might have been switched off causing things to work.

After a some of these we would pull the pullchains on the closet lights if we had a tripping problem and that seemed to take care of things.

Another point an inspecter said was the bedroom smoke should be protected with an AFCI per 2002 but do you really want a smoke protected by something that trips easily?

My point is what kind of trouble is the home owner going to have with faulse tripping from cirtain things.

Long live Federal Paciffic Stab Locks I guess.

Tom

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Recent Posts
Members: Non-Members: Did you know?
by Admin
01/22/17 02:34 PM
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1
01/21/17 08:51 PM
International Wire Colour Codes
by Texas_Ranger
01/21/17 03:29 PM
Looking for older post
by Texas_Ranger
01/21/17 03:22 PM
Last time to chat here
by Trumpy
01/20/17 11:41 PM

Who's Online
3 registered (Admin, Texas_Ranger, HotLine1), 85 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters
gfretwell 9066
Trumpy 8560
pauluk 7693
HotLine1 6833
sparky 5545
Member Spotlight

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals