ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Hi

My name is Greg and I work over in Bosnia on a Canadian S.F.O.R. base for a company out of Calgary.As much as I try to do my best to keep to the C.E.C. when doing work, it is not always possible to do, due to supplies or manpower. I found this site yesterday and look forward to using it often for keeping up with my code and hopefully for some help when I get stuck. I have a formula out of the N.E.C. for 3 phase voltage drops that talks about a Q factor for cables above 2/0 .1)What is the Q and how do i use it ?
2) Is there a better calculation I can use for 3 phase calculations? Many of our runs are very long, and alot of our services are large so I like to be right before I purchase cables
Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing some results
Greg Smith
Camp Black Bear
V.K.
Bosnia

R
Do you mean "K"?

Hey Greg,
Greg here. Just remember that VD is equal to (2) "licks" over a "Cool Mama". Now this applies to your personal life as well as electric work.
Notice:
VD=(2LIK)/Acm
The above formula is for single phase applications.
For three phase applications use the following:
VD=(2LIK.866)/Acm
VD=Voltage Drop (or it could be you know, V.D.) [Linked Image]
L=length of circuit from source to load (one direction only, thus the "2" in the formula)
I=current in amperes
K=constant for either copper or aluminum
Acm=Area of conductor in circular mils (or it could be "A cool Mama") [Linked Image]
The .866 is thrown into the formula for 3 phase applications, and is equal to the square root of 3 divided by 2.
The constants for copper and aluminum may vary depending on who you ask, but I was taught that Copper is 10.4, and Aluminum is 17.1.
If you want to avoid "VD" in your personal life, stay away from those "Cool Mamas", but if you want to avoid "VD" in your electrical work use the above formulas, and I'm sure that you will be O.K.
Always, always remember, "Proper electric today, keeps The Watt Doctor away."
And by the way, The Watt Doctor only does check ups on one kind of VD, and it has to do with the kind where electrons, conductors, difference of potential, etc are involved, not the other.

Best Voltage Dropological Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
E
Nice answer doc. lol

SparkyGA:
You may want to see if you can locate a great little calculator called "ELECTRICALC"
Matter of fact an ad just popped up to the left of this page. I think it's in the $100 range, but I think it' is well worth it.

Does a whole lot....check it out
John

John
R
Ron Offline
Check toward the bottom of the web page below for volt drop calcs in feet or meters. http://www.mikeholt.com/free/free.htm

Ron
Broom Pusher and
"Q" [Figure Of Merit most of the time] can either be applied to the VD formula as Skin Effect Ratio / Calc, or used in conjunction with Reactances [Xl &/or Xc] to determine an Impedance.

It's in one of my EE books some place [Linked Image]

"K" is typically for "Constant", as indicated by Doc, and is Conductor dependent.

Are you planning to calc a Voltage Drop using the "Complete AC" method - which applies the Power Factor, Total Conductor Impedance [Resistance and Reactance(s)], Conductor Type [Skin Effect] and Magnetic / Non-Magnetic raceway?

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard