ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#87193 01/28/04 11:18 PM
J
jgwiii Offline OP
Hello,

I'm a small contractor and I'm currently installing a data network in a new school building. I was told to place the data rack containing two cisco switches and a punch down in a utility room that has a water heater and an electrical panel in it. Sunsequently, two other contractors bidding on jobs at the school remarked that to have this 4U open rack in that room with the water heater and electrical panel is a violation of code. I have done similar installations in this same county and state (oklahoma) in utility rooms with both water heaters and electrical panels and the installations have passed final fire code and building inspections and so forth. The room its self is approximately 4X8. Is there a basis for concern that has been over looked in the past regarding this? Thanks for any help on this matter.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#87194 01/29/04 10:23 AM
E
It's not the water heater that may be a problem. It is the fact that many times the space in front of the electrical panel is taken by "other" trades. There must be a working space clearance in front of all electrical panels 3 to 3-1/2 feet deep (depending on voltages), and as wide as the panel, but no narrower than 30 inches.
There is also a "dedicated equipment space" to avoid. The dedicated space extends from the floor to 6 feet above the panel, or to the structural ceiling, if lower, and is equal to the depth and width of the panel. Nothing above or below the panel is allowed except electrical installation stuff.
Keep out of these areas, and you are OK.

Earl

Earl

Link Copied to Clipboard