ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8688 - 04/01/02 01:35 PM MA Law and a job if you please...!
2E1X4 Offline
Loc: Dennisport, MA, USA
I am trying to get into the Electrical Field (looking for an apprenticeship!) and have a question with regards to the MGL 141:8. Am I interpreting this correctly, MA Journeyman Electricians not regularly employed by a Class A holder (person or otherwise) can employ an apprentice? I am wondering this due to the differnece in requirements for the plumbing field.

I also need clarification on the requirements to install Telephone, CATV and Networking cables in the state of MA. I would like to start out by installing said cables in both new and remodel jobs (I need the money!). I am reading through the NEC 2002 w/MA amendments and find that I am within the law to install these systems but I want to make sure before I get myself in trouble...

If anyone out there is reading this and knows of a way that I can get the hours needed for the Journeyman’s License on Cape Cod or just off I would really appreciate it. I have been looking for quite some time with little success.

I was trained as an Electronics Tech. in the AF specifically in Security Systems (Notice the AFSC as the UserName...). I have also been to the local alarm shops and have had no success there either. I have all but given up on breaking into the field but I would really like to get started. I am a fast learner and can do the work...just need someone to show me the ins and outs...don't need a lot of supervision.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED...!!!!
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#8689 - 04/01/02 04:31 PM Re: MA Law and a job if you please...!
CTwireman Offline
Loc: Connecticut, USA
How badly do you want to live in Massachusetts? Consider moving or commuting to RI, after all, its not that far from the cape. I picked up the Sunday Providence Journal this past weekend and there were 8 or 9 ads seeking apprentices and/or journeymen.
You might have better luck in the Ocean State than in the Bay State.
#8690 - 04/01/02 04:44 PM Re: MA Law and a job if you please...!
2E1X4 Offline
Loc: Dennisport, MA, USA
Ouch...but your probably right...

I was hopeing for something local but an hour commute each way to RI I could handle for a while...

Thanks CTwireman...
#8691 - 04/01/02 04:58 PM Re: MA Law and a job if you please...!
CTwireman Offline
Loc: Connecticut, USA
BTW, I am a native of Lil Rhody so email me if you have any questions or concerns about the area. I would be happy to help.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (gfretwell), 95 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals