ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86868 - 12/20/03 04:40 PM 2 120V circuits in 1 J box
gserve Offline
I have situation where I would like to add a light onto a J box. I would like to bring a 14/2 romex from another circuit to feed the light only and keep the other 2 romexs spliced separately. Of course I will splice all the EGC's together.Do I have to make sure that the hots are on a separate phase? Ans do I have to use handle tie if not a multi-wire branch circuit? Is this accepted by the 2002 code?
2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#86869 - 12/20/03 05:39 PM Re: 2 120V circuits in 1 J box
Attic Rat Offline
Loc: Bergen Co.,N.J. USA
..How big is the "j-box"..? you have to watch how many wires you're cramming into that box..and if you are running another circuit in there..don't splice all your neutrals together..egc's can all be spliced together,..Common handle tie on the breaker,..?..no.Only when you have 2 phases on the same yolk or device..ie;a receptacle with the hot side bridging taken off...that you have to use a 2-pole breaker...Different phases..? it won't matter as the neutrals of each circuit should be separated anyway!! Hope this helps ya.. AR
#86870 - 12/21/03 04:12 AM Re: 2 120V circuits in 1 J box
gserve Offline
Ditto on everything. Of course the box is big enough or I would not use it. Thanks for the reply and info

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 81 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
KrmtFrg, Stack, Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals