ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
[Linked Image]

Defined in these books the term NEUTRAL can be found and will that term be acceptable for today, or how did it change if so, wasn't that term really just a "nickname"

We shall see ...

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
the only real change is somebody who will make a name for themselves with another 6 code cycles of debate...

Joe:
"It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks (terms)"!!

Light fixtures are luminaires. If I used that term a few years back, some clients would assume that the job was going to be VERY expensive.

The white wire is the neutral. It's also the grounded conductor. What's the difference??? I know, it's in the "bible", I'll change my ways, and try to change my employees. (And remember to use the "correct" term in my CE classes)

John

John
P
I found the same problem with 'ground' and 'bond'.
I call them all 'grounds', and recieve little argument.

P
What is the definition of neutral according to these old texts?

pauluk:

I will look when I get homw on Friday, and will post that information here.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
W
Neutral or Grounded conductor means the same thing to me.
Has the Neutral always been required, by the NEC, to be tied to the GEC via the main bonding jumper, at the service?

P
In a two wire installation, one wire black and the other wire white, with the black being energized, live or whatever the wire carrying current to the load is called, the white wire is not the neutral conductor.
It is called the grounded conductor.
If you were to read the instructions for a GFCI, you will see that the instructions do not say to install the neutral conductor to the 'white' screw, but the instructions will say to install the 'white wire' to the white screw. This type of instruction is common to a lot of other equipment we install.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
W
Having two terms with very similar names can lead to confusion. "Grounded conductor", "grounding conductor", "equipment ground" and such can be easily confused in conversations held in noisy enviroments. Like construction sites where wiring is being done. "Neutral" and "ground" are distinctly different words, and should reduce confusion. Other things in the code are done to cut confusion, like color codes (white wire is the neutral). These have no effect on the electrons running down the wires, but the people who work on such benefit from clear terms and labeling.

R
In my opinion it is a term that need not be defined. The way I view is that "neutral" is a state of being for the grounded conductor.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard