by Texas_Ranger
Yesterday at 08:24 AM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 12
HotLine1 7
renosteinke 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
2 registered (Tjia1981, geoff in UK), 225 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85578 - 07/15/03 03:06 PM Permanently Installed Pool
chick Offline

Loc: louisville, kentucky
is a pool located above ground or partially in the ground that has a depth greater than 42" and a length greater than 18' considered a "permanently installed pool"? i think it is.

i also think that a plug and cord connected motor of less than 1 h.p. can not use a 20A plug end.

i also think that the cord can not be longer than 3' for a permanently installed pool.

i also think that the outlet for this pump/motor can not be fed from an exisitng RECEPTACLE and must come from a panelboard. that the outlet can not be any closer than 5' if it meets all the requirements..

i also think that the feeder must be installed in conduit and can not be installed using UF cable.

i also think that the convenience (required) outlet CAAN be fed by a UF cable and CAN be tapped from an exisitng outlet.

I also think that ALL METAL parts of this "permantly installed" above ground pool MUST be GROUNDED. this pool has metal supports/braces all around and a metal ladder and pool walls!

these are just a few of the rules! i doubt many pool shops can be aware of all the rules. they try not to tell the customer what is really involved electrically so that they do not lose a sale. then the ec has to take all the flack because said homeowner doesnt want to pay $600 to have the pool hooked up by a qualified person.

there are pool companies here giving electrical advice and costing electrical contractors money.

i say they need to stick to selling pools and stay out of the electrical side of it.

anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

chick & frodo

[This message has been edited by chick (edited 07-15-2003).]

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#85579 - 07/15/03 04:31 PM Re: Permanently Installed Pool
ThinkGood Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Here's another thread on pools that may be of interest:

#85580 - 07/15/03 05:23 PM Re: Permanently Installed Pool
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA

Same thing with Hot Tubs. They want to sell the model with the 240v Heater and the extra pumps but don't mention that the customer may need a service upgrade to get it installed properly.

I stopped giving estimates on Pools and Hot Tubs long ago.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals