by Tjia1981
Yesterday at 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85337 - 06/23/03 05:36 PM Smoke detector requirements?
Edward Offline

Loc: California
Does NEC require hard wired smoke detectors in a remodel and or new construction projects? And if yes i assume it has to be on its own circuit.

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#85338 - 06/23/03 07:00 PM Re: Smoke detector requirements?
wa2ise Offline

Loc: Oradell NJ USA
Some people put the smokes on the same circuit that has a few ceiling lights in the hall and or bedrooms. A circuit that will be missed by the homeowner if it's dead. Otherwise if the smokes are on their own breaker, it could be dead and nobody would ever notice. What does the code say?

#85339 - 06/23/03 08:35 PM Re: Smoke detector requirements?
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA

Smoke Detectors is a Building Code requirement, not an NEC requirement.

I'd guess that if the remodelled area included Bedrooms it would be required for them to be installed. But that's really a question for your local authorities.

IMO, I don't think it's a good idea for Smoke Detectors to be on their own circuit.

#85340 - 06/23/03 08:38 PM Re: Smoke detector requirements?
caselec Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
This is a building code requirement not an NEC requirement. Since you are in CA we use the UBC and I believe section 1210 covers smoke detectors. You are required to install smoke detectors that meet this section anytime any alteration or repair exceeds $1000 and a permit is required. If you are remodeling an area where a smoke detector is required then it needs to be hardwired with battery backup but the other detectors can be battery only. In new construction all the detectors must be hardwired with battery backup and interconnected. Hopefully you already know where the smoke detectors are required. The UBC does not require a dedicated circuit and in my opinion they should be connected to a general lighting circuit so the homeowner knows if the circuit is off for any reason. A number of years ago there were a couple of city's that were requiring dedicated circuits but I haven't run into this lately.

Curt Swartz

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals