Now Available!

Recent Posts
Correct rotation, wrong sequence
by Potseal
Today at 03:14 PM
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
HotLine1 10
Potseal 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 218 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84913 - 05/16/03 06:10 AM subpanels again?
Reel-Break Offline

Loc: nc
Can someone clear up the whole subpanel issue?The more I understand the more I`m not sure of.If I add a subpanel to an existing panel attached to home Main or no main required? also if it`s dettached what`s the deal with 6 breakers.I think I have it if it`s detached I may have up to 6 and use main lug if more than 6 must have main right 225.33.Also can I have more than one subpanel from a panel? say a 200 main panel with 2 100 amp subs example one in the garage for work shop in future and one in the basement.I`d like the articals please I`d really like to understand this better.Had a homeowner ask me some questions and I wasn`t sure where to look. Thanks

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#84914 - 05/16/03 08:18 AM Re: subpanels again?
resqcapt19 Offline

Loc: IL
Reel-Break,
First lets look at the requirement for panels. 408.16(A) requires that a lighting and applinance branch circuit panel "shall be individually protected on the supply side by not more than two main circuit breakers or two sets of fuses having a combined rating not greater than that of the panelboard". Two devices would only be used for a "split bus" panel. There is nothing in this section or any other code section that requires the panel to have a main breaker. The feeder overcurrent protective device is permitted to provide the required panel overcurrent protection. This means that any time you install a subpanel in the same building as the main panel there is no requirement for a main.
When we get to a second building, 225.31, .32 and .33 require building disconnecting means. 225.33 permits you to use up to 6 breakers to provide the required building disconnecting means. So in a sub panel, if you have six or less breakers, no main is required. This assumes that the feeder breaker has a rating equal to or less than the rating of the subpanel. If you need more than 6 branch circuits in the second building, then you must install a main.
There is no code limit on the number of subpanels that can be served from the main panel. You can also feed a second subpanel from the first subpanel.
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 05-16-2003).]

#84915 - 05/16/03 11:10 AM Re: subpanels again?
Reel-Break Offline

Loc: nc
Don thanks for taking the time to clear some of the smoke for me.Seems sometimes I have problem spitting the code out if I don`t have a specific question.Thanks for your time to moderate this forum as well.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals