ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
What is everyone doing for disconnecting these appliances?Local insp says cord cap not accessible for DW. I have a wire under cabinet for disposal so I could place a rec. in box and cord cap that one. Thanks for some help here.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
GEO Offline
not sure i understand the issue-- 422.16(B)(2) GEO

[This message has been edited by GEO (edited 04-08-2003).]

E
Cord for disposal receptacle under sink. 422.16 (B) (1) Cord for dishwasher, receptacle under sink or behind dishwasher. 422.16 (B) (2)

S
In my opinion, 422-31(b) allows a breaker which can be locked to be the disconnect switch. What you have to know is what does your inspector believe is a "lock". Is a breaker lock a lock? Or is it not really a lock because anybody with a screwdriver can remove it. The code does not define what a lock is, that I know of.

This section covers permanently connected appliances over 300 VA, which would be required to be used in the instance of a non-accessible cord-and-plug connected appliance as per 422-32(a).

So I personally think a breaker lock is a lock and the breaker is allowed as the disconnect.

Now also take into consideration 422-35 Exception. Is the switch at the counter top for a disposal a "unit switch"? If so, then as per 422-33(c), assuming a single-family dwelling, if the house has a main disconnect another disconnect is not required.

If not, then it is considered the controller and a disconnect is required for the controller and must be in sight of the controller as per 430-102(a). So I guess you would have to install two switches next to each other in a double gang box. Since this seems redundant and most people would have a fit about two switches that disconnect the same appliance in essence, one switch with a properly labeled breaker would be ok with me.

This question can be tricky, but I think good common sense should be used and the risk of injury can be avoided.

S
By the way, I do believe that 422-16(b)(2)(d) and (e) mean that a receptacle behind the dishwasher is accessible, provided when you pull the dishwasher out it is accessible.

R
Thanks Steve I got bashed by a new inspector when I posted. I laid a rec. down where you had to reach under the DW to unplug it but you had to remove the front cover.Laid down I mean it was properly mounted just horizonal.I couldn`t go under sink because of trash compactor.Tech. I was ok but we worked out a compromise.My thing was it`s the same as a stove.

E
There is no need for a compromise. You did it right. What is the problem?

W
Dishwashers have a switch on them ..Right ?
and as long as the receptacle is accessible it can be used as a means of disconnect for the disposer.(Accessible as pertaining to equipment and opening the door to access the receptacle and attachment plug should qualify as accessible)
At least thats the way i read 422.33(A) and 422.34 Unit switch disconnect for the DW with a Marked Off position.

Wm.Colt

Link Copied to Clipboard