ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84355 - 03/22/03 05:05 PM Grounding Of General -Use Snap Switches
txsparky Offline
Loc: Magnolia,.Texas U.S.A.
The exception to 404.9(B) allows for a switch to be ungrounded if it is "provided with a faceplate of nonconducting,noncombustible material.
Question is " Shouldn't this requirement also require the same for the faceplate screws" ? Although I see this alot in existing residential installations,very seldom do I see anything other than metal screws.
#84356 - 03/23/03 05:17 AM Re: Grounding Of General -Use Snap Switches
Inspector Grump Offline
Loc: Bloomfield,NJ,USA
Many years ago when I was contracting; we always grounded the switches. I feel it makes for a safer job. How many times have you installed a plactic plate and found the home owner changed the plate before final inspection. Now working as an inspector, I have to follow the NEC. I would like to see switched grounded, I know plates are changed and home owners will put on any thing they think looks nice.
#84357 - 03/23/03 05:23 AM Re: Grounding Of General -Use Snap Switches
iwire Offline
Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
Doesn't the exception to grounding the yoke only apply to replacement switches where no grounding means is available.

But in those instances I agree with txsparky nylon screws would be a great idea.
#84358 - 03/23/03 12:33 PM Re: Grounding Of General -Use Snap Switches
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
I seem to remember that in a "multi family housing STATE code, you needed non-conductive (nylon) screws) on switchplates.
It may have also applied to hotels/motels.
There was a thread relating to this a while ago, and I suggested that McMaster Carr still had nylon 6-32 screws in the catalog.
John

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals