Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Today at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83985 - 02/25/03 05:31 AM gfci required?
Reel-Break Offline

Loc: nc
Wiring a metal storage building 200amp service six 8' lights and 1 rec IS this rec required to be gfci protected?Can`t remember readind this in code ajh says yes but didn`t furnish art number. Thanks

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#83986 - 02/25/03 05:46 AM Re: gfci required?
resqcapt19 Offline

Loc: IL
If this is at a residential occupancy, then 210.8(A)(2) requires the receptacle to have GFCI protection. If this is not a residential occupancy, GFCI protection is not required by the code.
Don

#83987 - 02/25/03 07:20 AM Re: gfci required?
Reel-Break Offline

Don thanks for the reply here`s what the ajh said this am. It is a commercial storage building behind a gun shop but he said with it having 2 roll up garage doors he quoted 511.12. I hate to fight out with him but the guy already has shelfs and it`s pretty clear it`s a storage facility and not a garage.Just thought I`d completely missed something in the code thanks again.

#83988 - 02/26/03 02:07 PM Re: gfci required?
WebSparky Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Reel-Break,

Personally, I always think of personel safety when I wire garages and commercial buildings. So as a result, I am always wondering why installing a GFCI is a big deal.
Given that the NEC is a minimum requirement for electrical safety, why do some contractors in certain situations opt for no GFCI?
I do not mean to sound disrespectful, I honestly don't understand.

Thanks,
Dave

[This message has been edited by WebSparky (edited 02-26-2003).]

#83989 - 02/27/03 06:21 AM Re: gfci required?
Reel-Break Offline

Hey Web sparky,
It`s not a big deal.It`s a matter of $ That could have been my lunch today.Also I done a job that was code compliant and the inspector turned it down for the wrong reason leaving the storage building guy with a question of my work.But I always try to do my work neat and in most cases more than code worthy.I talked to AJH and I actually did put a gfci in but it cost me time and $8.00 No offence taken. Should gfci`s be put everywhere....no whats the difference.Are they safer everywhere...most likely.Thanks

#83990 - 02/27/03 03:34 PM Re: gfci required?
WebSparky Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Reel-Break,

I have been in that situation myself on a few jobs years ago. After being embarassed in front of the customer, I just started explaining the benefits of a GFCI when I was selling the job and myself as an electrical contractor. When I was successful and sold the job based on having the customer's best interests at heart, the job always ended up with a happy customer and me making my profit margin. I know at times it sounds idealistic, but if we don't educate the customers, who will?

Thanks for not taking offence!
Dave

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals