by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 338 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8351 - 03/19/02 04:46 PM security
stan Offline

Loc: ky
Well today i looked at a job to replace a piecs of coax cable for a security camera . MY question is can i use replace the BNC connectors with regular coax connectors ?
Will this be bad?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#8352 - 03/19/02 06:09 PM Re: security
NJwirenut Offline

Loc: Bergen County, NJ
What exactly are "regular coax connectors"? Do you mean "F" connectors like you see on CATV equipment? "UHF" connectors like you see on ham radio gear? "TNC"s like mobile phones use? "N" connectors like satellite TV and test equipment use? "RCA" plugs ala cheap consumer video equipment?

BNC's are pretty much the standard for CCTV and datacom stuff. Nice constant impedance, easy to mate/demate, and even somewhat weather-resistant when mated. Widely available, in crimp-on (recommended), solder clamp, and twist-on (avoid these) versions.

I guess you could use different connectors for video, but you will need adapters to connect to the cameras, monitors, switchers, etc., which will all have BNCs on them. By the time you buy the adapters, you might as well have used the proper plugs to begin with. If you use some kind of non-standard connector, whoever is working on the system after you will be cursing you under their breath when they have to change something out in the future.

Whatever you use, you will need a connector and cable with a 75 ohm impedance, in order to get a decent picture with minimum distortion.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 03-19-2002).]

#8353 - 03/19/02 08:10 PM Re: security
hal9000 Offline

Loc: Lincoln,NE,USA
Right-on Wirenut. This guy knows his video. And I will agree twist on BNC's are junk.

#8354 - 03/20/02 10:44 AM Re: security
mamills Offline

Loc: Wharton, Texas, USA
I agree with Wirenut and Hal. If you need to replace the BNC connector, do so with a good quality BNC crimp-on type. Try to stay away from adaptors if at all possible. Any time you have to insert an adaptor in a video or audio circuit, you introduce a potential "weak spot" which will eventually cause trouble.

Mike (mamills)

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals