Now Available!

Recent Posts
Correct rotation, wrong sequence
by Potseal
Today at 03:14 PM
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 12
HotLine1 10
Potseal 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 198 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83337 - 01/25/03 08:01 PM Is it a violation to Cad Weld conductors other than grounds?
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
I sometimes have to Cad Weld grounding electrode conductors and was wondering if it was a violation to join phase conductors with a Cad Weld. I have never seen this done.

My thinking was if it's good enough for grounds why not hots, or am I just looking for a reason to play with smoke and fire?
Bob

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#83338 - 01/25/03 08:11 PM Re: Is it a violation to Cad Weld conductors other than grounds?
NJwirenut Offline

Loc: Bergen County, NJ
I would worry about the heat from the welding process being conducted along the wires, and damaging the insulation on both sides of the splice.

I have cadwelded a lot of ground connections, but they always involved BARE wire....

#83339 - 01/25/03 08:31 PM Re: Is it a violation to Cad Weld conductors other than grounds?
iwire Offline

Let me point out that I do not plan on doing this.

It was a thought that I had while I was working.

But you make a good point that a AHJ could say I damaged the insulation.

#83340 - 01/25/03 08:45 PM Re: Is it a violation to Cad Weld conductors other than grounds?
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
Seems like the effort needed to restore a foot-and-a-half of cable insulation and competent taping of the ragged mold overspill would obviate such a practice.

Can’t imagine producers of exothermic-weld materials having any intention of them used in that way.

{No offense intended.}

#83341 - 01/25/03 08:45 PM Re: Is it a violation to Cad Weld conductors other than grounds?
nesparky Offline

Loc: omaha,ne
About 5 years ago, a fellow worker had the same thought. So we used some scrap 350MCM and tried it. The THHN insulation was burnt and melted back bout 3 feet on each wire. To reinsulate would have been time consuming and expensive, not to mention look bad.
Oh well that experiment did not go the way we hoped. oops.
Cadwelds are great on bare wire only.

#83342 - 01/25/03 09:12 PM Re: Is it a violation to Cad Weld conductors other than grounds?
iwire Offline

nesparky, Thanks I wish I got to see that, I did not think the damage would travel back that far, I was thinking 12 to 18 inches.

#83343 - 01/25/03 09:52 PM Re: Is it a violation to Cad Weld conductors other than grounds?
Joe Tedesco Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
Article 250 covers the "exothermic welding process" and 110.14(B) covers splices.

Here's that rule:

Quote:
(B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use "or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy.

Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered.

I sure hope this isn't interpreted to mean that welded splices are OK for insulated conductors!

Interesting question. Maybe the code needs to be revised.

I didn't read the NECH commentary, maybe it has some more explanation on what is meant by "welded"??

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals