ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83050 - 01/05/03 05:10 PM Smart House
Fred Offline
Loc: Straughn, IN 47387
I have a question concerning "Smart House" wiring. I have a large(8000sqft)custom home started and the customer has decided to install a "Smart House" system that will control lighting, HVAC and security via a computer interface. The customer has contracted a company to install this system. This company has not installed a smart house system before but has an employee who attended schooling for it last summer.
This company is telling me that I should wire all lighting circuits as I normally would but they will provide me with the switches for the lighting that I will wire just as I would a normal 1P, 3-way or 4-way switch. These switches they will provide will have additional terminals for their low voltage wiring which they will terminate. I have a meeting with a rep from this company scheduled for 01/07 and would like to have some input from anyone experienced with smart house systems before then. If anyone has any insight, please share it with me. It sounds a little fishy to me running 24V wire into a metal device box with 120V cable and a device with no dividers.
2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#83051 - 01/05/03 07:16 PM Re: Smart House
Joe Tedesco Offline
Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
Frank:

Review Article 780 Closed-Loop and Programmed Power Distribution
#83052 - 01/05/03 07:24 PM Re: Smart House
Fred Offline
Loc: Straughn, IN 47387
Joe,
I have reviewed the article. Hybrid cable has not been suggested on this job. Just my NM cable and the Smart House contractor's LV wire.
(Please note the name FRED, not FRANK)

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 51
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 17
Trumpy 16
Ruben Rocha 13

Newest Members
clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2, sureshazhagai

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals