by Potseal
Yesterday at 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Texas_Ranger 9
Trumpy 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 203 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82921 - 12/22/02 05:23 AM Mobile Home grounding
MJR Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I was called to upgrade fuse boxes in an older mobile home to a 100A breaker panel. When I inspected the job, I noticed that the trailer used a permanent feeder from the service equipment (mounted on a nearby utility pole)that consisted of #2 SE cable. I wasn't sure if I could connect the new panel to this cable, or if I have to replace it with a four-wire feeder. After checking Article 550, it seemed to me that there was a lot of contradiction in Parts II and III as to which way to proceed (i.e. 550.10(I)(1), and 550.33 (A) exception.
If I can re-use the existing SE cable, do I need to drive a ground rod at the trailer panel (in addition to the one at the service equipment location of course), or am I not supposed to?
Also, the existing fuse panels are located in a rear bedroom closet, in violation of 550.11(A). Can I still place the new panel there, as it is a replacement and not new work?
Lastly, since I'm trying to do everything else right, I intend on using AFCIs for the bedrooms, but I was wondering if in this situation that would be considered a requirement.
Thanks for any feedback!
Michael

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#82922 - 12/22/02 03:20 PM Re: Mobile Home grounding
sparky Offline

Michael,

is the se (triplex i assume) comming from a meter/main at the pole?
the rest of what your asking may well be the call of the local AHJ
re; existing vs. upgrade

#82923 - 12/23/02 09:35 PM Re: Mobile Home grounding
wayne Offline

Loc: NC
Micheal, around here what we do in such a case is change the panel and the feeded if it is not four wire. no need for a ground rod. far as the afci, ahj would call on that. most of the time if we do not touch it we dont have to bring it up to code.
i would ask your local inspector what do they require and go from there.

#82924 - 12/24/02 10:15 AM Re: Mobile Home grounding
MJR Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
After closer examination of what would be involved and a chat with my local inspector, this job may be a lot like opening a HUGE can of worms.
I think I'd be smart to pass on this one. Sometimes the money just isn't worth it...

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals