by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 321 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8223 - 03/12/02 09:05 PM Figuring log homes...
teeland Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR
Ok guys, I know that prices vary from region to region, but is there some kind of pricing configuration for log homes? Since I have taken over the family business, I have not had the pleasure of billing out a log home. I have had plenty of experience in wiring them, but my father always did the pricing.

On normal residential homes, I charge by the opening and very rarely by the sq. foot. But on a log house, it would seem that the labor cost just can't be accounted for until you are finished, and a square foot estimate would be the best way.

Am I close or just standing out in left feild without a clue? And what are the going rates in your areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#8224 - 03/12/02 09:21 PM Re: Figuring log homes...
JMichael Offline

Loc: Norwich, NY, USA
If you are in the Long Island area I would like to assist with the installation. I have seen a log home wired on TV one time. (HomeTime) It seems there are many many factors to consider when wiring them. I Would like to see one wired up, start to finish.

#8225 - 03/12/02 10:25 PM Re: Figuring log homes...
The Watt Doctor Offline

Loc: Mont Belvieu, TX
I don't know about log cabins, because I'm an estimator for a commercial/industrial contractor. I will say that I never "square foot" an estimate (unless I'm trying to give the customer a "ballpark" figure). I do a detailed, indexed take off, apply pricing and labor, tax, any quoted materials, profit and overhead, equipment rental, etc., etc., etc.
You would be wise to look into a book by Ed Tyler called "Estimating Electrical Construction". It has information on residential applications that I'm sure would help.
The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

#8226 - 03/13/02 03:58 AM Re: Figuring log homes...
Redsy Offline

Loc: Bucks County PA
Watt Dr.,

Could you explain your procedure for using the take-off method with a little bit of detail?
From what I know, it is tedious but accurate.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 03-13-2002).]

#8227 - 03/13/02 05:02 AM Re: Figuring log homes...
WARREN1 Offline

Loc: Greenville, SC, USA
Check out . They have had some discussions regarding electrical installations. There are also some users on this board that have done log homes.

#8228 - 03/13/02 08:12 AM Re: Figuring log homes...
sparky66wv Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I've wired four "real" log homes, (old wood that cabins are rebuilt from, not these pine lincoln log looking things)...

They've always been T&M, because if you an give them an accurate figure before the job, they'll probably balk at the price.

So for me, it's either T&M or if they insist on an estimate I'll go up to double the cost of wiring a regular home, and let them have sticker shock...

If the logs are drilled before being stacked, that helps immensely, otherwise, be prepared for about three hours per stop.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals