ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8221 03/12/02 11:44 PM
G
George Offline OP
Many years ago, perhaps 1985, I wired my own home. I am unlicensed, but the state law allowed this. The local AHJ required approval by a licensed professional before he would perform an inspection.

At that time the licensed professional decided to tidy up the breaker panel at the service entrance. Subsequent to that the AHJ performed an inspection and the work was passed.

I just looked at the breaker panel. Each screw has 2 neutral wires under it. (I had put only 1 wire under each screw.) I know that the box is not rated for 2 neutral wires under a screw.

I have to build my shop on this property this summer and it will have electric in it.

How do I handle the AHJ, the same one who required a licensed professional and passed an improper instalation?

R
At the time (1985) 2 wires under the neutral terminal was probably acceptable. In fact, if I'm not mistaken many residential panels (until recently, maybe) have a label on the inside which specifies that 2 #14s or 12s are permitted in each hole. Nowadays, the label specifies this only for the grounds. Read the label to be sure.
He should grandfather the installation if the label permits it.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 03-13-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard