ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
C.Urch Offline OP
Got turned down on a final inspection because the light kit globe on the ceiling fan is not at least 6'8" above the floor. Can't locate anything in the code book about clearances for light kits. Does anyone know of code reference to this???

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Residential or commercial? Hallway, living room, etc? There are some clearance requirements in the building codes, but they normally are for the ceiling heigth. Let me knwo and I'll do a little more research. There also may be a local code. I couldn't find anything in the NEC.
Bob

C
C.Urch Offline OP
Residential in the middle of the bedroom (above foot of bed). If there is a local code, it has not been made public or privy to me. The blades are 7' from the floor while the light kit hangs down to about 6'6".

B
2000 IRC 305.1 "Habitable rooms, hallways, corridors, bathrooms, toilet rooms, laundry rooms and basements should have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134mm). The required height will be measured from the finished floor to the lowest projection from the ceiling". There are three exceptions, but they don't apply here.
The UBC has a higher requirement, but doesn't say if the measurement is from the ceiling or the projection (it also requires 7' 6").
Couldn't find anything in the NEC.
Based on this, I would say that the AHJ has adopted the IRC and he's correct. But, I would ask him to quote chapter and verse because sometimes the AHJ will adopt a building code and make local changes to it.

Bob,

I see a similar Code (R305.1) in the NY Residential Code but find it hard to believe that this is meant to apply to lighting fixtures. If it did, we could have no Dining Room Chandeliers at eye level.

Bill

Bill
S
C.Urch,
is there any specified hieght called out on the installation instructions?

B
Bill,
I agree, but it depends on which code. The UBC reads as if (and I intrpret it to mean) that it's floor to ceiling, in which case he could hang it next to the floor. But the IRC has that word "projection" in it, which (I'm not a code official BTW) I interpret to mean whatever is hanging down. But then again, what has been adopted and changed locally.
Bob

C
C.Urch Offline OP
Sparky: No specified height in the installation literature. These are contactor supplied fans and light kits. this is the first home I have wired in this particular jurisdiction in quite some time and I have never had a problem regarding height requirements (other than blade height) in any of the adjacent municipalities. I guess I'll get up with the inspector Monday and ask him to show me the code he is quoting. I'll let you know the outcome.

G
Ceiling heights do not include fixtures.

Ceiling heights can locally be below the "habitable" ceiling height. That is beams or sloping portions.

I believe that the moving blades have a min height but I believe it is a installation issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard