by Potseal
Yesterday at 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 218 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8104 - 03/07/02 05:54 PM GFCI circuit for sump pump
menegt Offline

Loc: sacramento, ca
Sorry for the ignorance people but, our University just built this fancy fountain.

The sump pump along w/ the controls, timer and pump related equip are in a underground vault.

It just rained recently and the GFCI circuit for the sump pump had tripped. Water was almost to the controls. I suggested calling
back the contractor to replace sump pump. Contractor says there was a surge that took place?!(*&^(

Is the motor on a sump pump (or any single phase motor) that is on a GFCI circuit supposed to have a certain rating/designation/efficiency? This has happened a few times already.

Appreciate the help. Great site.
IBEW 340 - Mike

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#8105 - 03/07/02 07:08 PM Re: GFCI circuit for sump pump
Redsy Offline

Loc: Bucks County PA
What is the reasoning behind the sump pump being on a GFCI?

#8106 - 03/07/02 08:47 PM Re: GFCI circuit for sump pump
menegt Offline

sorry, i meant GFI circuit. It's coming off a GFI breaker w/ a GFCI receptacle on the same circuit.

#8107 - 03/08/02 04:32 AM Re: GFCI circuit for sump pump
Redsy Offline

What I'm saying is, I don't beleive the sump pump is required to be, or should be, on a GFI.

#8108 - 03/09/02 07:08 PM Re: GFCI circuit for sump pump
menegt Offline

When running a submersable pump for a fountain the pump is required to be on a GFI.
680-51

#8109 - 03/10/02 04:01 AM Re: GFCI circuit for sump pump
Frank Cinker Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Are we talking about two different pump motors? The decorative fountain pump motor is required to be GFCI protected. A sump pump (ejector pump) is not required to be GFCI protected.

#8110 - 03/11/02 05:26 PM Re: GFCI circuit for sump pump
menegt Offline

Frank, can you direct me to where in the code that it says that a sump pump for a fountain not be GFI protected? This is an in ground vault about 5' deep containing the fountain pump, fiber optic lighting and controls for the fountain. Thanks.

#8111 - 03/11/02 05:44 PM Re: GFCI circuit for sump pump
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Mike,

I think there's a bit of confusion over what type of pump you are talking about. When I hear 'sump pump' I think of a pump that is installed to prevent flooding, or an ejection pump. It operates on a float switch which turns the pump on when water rises to a certain level. I'm reasonably sure that this is what Frank and Redsy are referring to.

Is that what you mean? Or are you referring to a pump that shoots the water in the air for the fountain?

Bill

#8112 - 03/12/02 05:24 PM Re: GFCI circuit for sump pump
menegt Offline

In the vault there is a sump pump that prevents flooding of the vault. It has a float used to switch on the sump pump. There is a pump that cirulates water and pumps water into the fountain. My problem is that when the sump pump circuit which is on a GFI circuit trips, the controls are in danger of water damage (if the water level gets that high). Is there a certain motor I should use on a GFI circuit? Code says that the sump pump has to be on a GFI circuit. Actually the fountain pump (for pumping water into the fountain) has to be on a GFI circuit also. Thanks.... Mike

#8113 - 03/13/02 04:18 AM Re: GFCI circuit for sump pump
Redsy Offline

I don't believe the intention of 680.51(A) requires you to include your sump pump as a part of "fountain equipment".
The submersible pump they refer to is a pump that would sit at the bottom of the reservoir that is filled with the water that you are circulating through your fountain.
I think you can remove the GFCI from the sump pump.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 03-13-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals