Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 35
HotLine1 21
Ruben Rocha 17
gfretwell 16
Trumpy 15
Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80843 - 06/04/02 03:34 AM Accessability
Redsy Offline

Loc: Bucks County PA
I have a situation where a wall mounted oven is mounted in a base cabinet. The original installer mounted a receptacle behind the oven. But, I don't believe this is accessible as the oven would have to be unscrewed & removed to gain access. They also installed the 120 volt receptacle for the gas cooktop ignition in the same area. I believe that I have to relocate the 120 receptacle and install the j-box for the new hard-wired oven in the back of an adjacent base cabinet, but if I don't have to do so, I would like to leave the wiring intact in order to minimize the cost to these senior citizens.
Any thoughts?

2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#80844 - 06/04/02 03:49 AM Re: Accessability
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
The oven setup is ok. The j box can be in the same cabinet as the oven. As for the cooktop I think this is fine. Maybe it would be better if the 120 receptacle was easier accesed but I cant find a code reference that says it must be.

#80845 - 06/04/02 05:38 AM Re: Accessability
Redsy Offline

Loc: Bucks County PA
scott,
You think the j-box & receptacle would seem to be "accessible" even though the oven would need to be removed (dismounted) to gain access?
I guess that since no disturbance of the building materials would be required, this may be considered accessible by definition, but I'm not too sure.

#80846 - 06/04/02 03:03 PM Re: Accessability
sparky Offline

the only thing ( other than accessable definitions that i can find...)

Quote:
(3) Wall-Mounted Ovens and Counter-Mounted Cooking Units. Wall-mounted ovens and counter-mounted cooking units complete with provisions for mounting and for making electrical connections shall be permitted to be permanently connected or, only for ease in servicing or for installation, cord-and-plug connected.
A separable connector or a plug and receptacle combination in the supply line to an oven or cooking unit shall be approved for the temperature of the space in which it is located.

#80847 - 06/04/02 06:54 PM Re: Accessability
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
I read that also. I do kitchens everyday and have yet to have an inspector cite me on this type of setup. In a new installation I put the j box in the cabinet above the oven if at all possible. This allows the kitchen guys to install the oven and I dont have to move it to make the connections. Also the only reason you would need to get to the j box would be to disconnect the oven to remove it.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals