ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Should/Must Laundry Receptacles be Accessible?

I have always seen Washer and Dryer receptacles mounted above the Appliances where they could be easily plugged and unplugged. I assume this to be preferrable, but is it required?

With the increase in popularity of front-loading Washers it may be common to see Countertops being installed above these appliances which would put the Receptacles behind the Appliances (and below the Countertop)
Any comments on this situation?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Bill,
I'm thinking of all the 'accessable' definitions....

J
I personally always try to put the washer recep 5-6' away from the drain pipe. But putting it behind it makes me wonder if the plug will become damaged. I mean to say lets say the washer goes off balance and shakes its way twards the recep. It possibly could rub off the insulation and zap. Then again how often does the washer go on the move..

James

E
Sparky, if it is behind the washer and you have to slide the washer out of the way to get at it, it is accessible. I don't really see any benifit to having it in any particular location. If it is in a laundry/bathroom and it is above the washer it would either have to be gfi or a single recept. Some would say what if there is an emergency..... I choose not to live thinking too much about the what if, You could go crazy thinking about what ifs!

I think it's just another appliance, like a dishwasher, range, etc
Pull it out, unplug it. No need to put it above the appliance.
Just adds another spot to plug in an extension cord for the iron. [Linked Image]

I couldn't think of anything against it but I've never come across that situation before and it's like doing a double-take. I figures it was worth asking about, but I can't think of alternatives unless the cords come up through the countertop.

Thanks
Bill

Bill
N
Set the suckers at 36" so it is not accessible to the goofs who want to put the splitter on it for who knows what. Laundry gets its own circuit, they need an accessible utility plug, put it over the counter for the iron, or at typical floor height for the other uses. Behind the units not accessible, 20A duplex no GFI, don't come across motor spikes to trip GFI, legal because not accessible, yet some AHJ's still want a GFI. In accessible area it is always a 20A GFI.

Link Copied to Clipboard