ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Anyone here do a sizable amount of private electrical inspections for real estate people or insurance companies? I'm wondering about the feasibility of pushing for that kind of work.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Yo El,
The counties around here actually use some people to do inspections as well when they are overloaded. You have to be BOCA certed in whatever area you work in, but it is feasible, if you're not IAEI or Boca certed, start there. Maybe Joe can shed some light on when they are testing again, I can't get BOCA or IAEI to answer me on that question. I want to get a few more myself.

George: Please try these sites, especially the first one for Experior and call them.

The others are some of the BOCA information pages.

Also, call the IAEI and ask if they have the new "Bulletin of Information for the NCPCCI 2A One and Two Family, 2B General, and 2C Plan review tests for the electrical inspectors new year dates for examinations.

We may see the information you need in the next edition of the Jan/Feb 2002 IAEI News

http://www.experioronline.com
http://www.bocai.org/pdf/CategoryExamChart.pdf
http://www.bocai.org/pdf/CertRequestForm.pdf

http://www.bocai.org/seminars_training.asp

Gee, it seems like yesterday when I first took my exams back in December 1979.

Joe Roohan was there also taking the tests for the 3 certifications. I am sure those in the Los Angeles area know who he was. I believe we were the first two in the country to get all three of the IAEI Certifications, The ICBO test and many others followed, and neither one was easy, although when I finished with my IAEI exams my pages looked like the rainbow, because of the errors and silly and trick questions I discovered .. maybe that's why I became a member of the test writing committee, and later the actual NCPCCI committee as the IAEI representative along with Bill Hartz a New Jersey special person I knew for a long time.

PS: I think that we will see a joint effort between IAEI and NFPA on the "Master Certification for Electrical Inspectors" soon. I guess I better start studying for that test!!

PS: Have you had an opportunity to use the new NTT, Inc., bookmark I designed for the 2002 NEC Chapter 3 cross references?

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-06-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
G
Joe,
Yup, being a snowy, rainy, cold afternoon, I was putting the tabs in my new handbook, I was cross referencing and reading through some of the changes. Why does the NFPA hate those of us who have been in the trade for 30 years ? I guess it may be worse for those of us that have taught it so long, but it is not easy on any of us "geezers". You beat me by about 5 years (maybe more) on the IAEI certs. Of course, I had NO intention of EVER becoming an inspector then. I took the tests kinda as a lark. I already had Masters in Va, Md, DC, and W Va, and took the tests so I could tell the students I still had to do those things. Kinda funny the way it all works out, eh ?

George:

The experience that we gain in this industry is a product of time .. it takes a very long time to learn everything about our business, and when we do memorize what we have learned they go ahead and change the code on us.

I have a keen sense and have a photogenic eye and sometimes I close my eyes and the answer appears!

I also will never be afraid to admit when I have made mistakes, and have made many during my career as an electrician, and electrical inspector.

Sometimes the "new kid on the block sees things a different way" and if we listen we can learn from them as well.

I probably spend over 60 or 70 hours a week with code related matters and always tell my students, and my friends that I hate to go to bed, and can't wait to get up to get back to what I was doing the day before.

Enough of the bell ringing for now, only one last item ... please all of you out there come aboard .. someday you'll be in our shoes.

PS: If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!!

Joe Tedesco

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-06-2002).]

R
Joe or George,

Do either of you, or anyone else know the criteria(years experience, current certifications, or licenses) to be able to sit for anelectrical inspector exam?

S
Anyone here do a sizable amount of private electrical inspections for real estate people or insurance companies? I'm wondering about the feasibility of pushing for that kind of work.

Elzappr;
The amount and viability of said biz is pertinent to the state laws where you live.
Where i am, in VT, there are no certifications of any kind required to be a 'home inspector' for realtors, banks,etc.
Because of this, what passes for inspections here is outrageously biased towards the hiree, usually realtors.
I get asked in , as an electrician, to fix the minor points picked out by these sorts to validate thier existence, while walking by time bombs.
So you see, there is no expertise required, or desired, and no $$$ in it to boot here
( hope your locale' is better...)
Most often, i'll be asked in by new owners ranting about 'what the inspector missed'

Redsy
I passed Inspector general in 96', I don't believe state licensure was prerequisite, i could be wrong....
As far as i know, the IAEI certs are the only true national ( international?)ones available exclusive to our trade, in of itself worth the effort. Perhaps the public will see IAEI certs with the same recognition as ASE for mechanics some day?!

G
OK, I hate to 'pass' this piece of info along, but it really should not be a surprise to you guys. When I came in the trades, an electrical inspector was always some old broken down electrician (a lot like me, with too much arthritis to be of much production), but that has changed and NOT for the better. Anyone can sit for these tests with no prerequisite knowledge, pass 'em and you're an inspector. Redsy, VA regulates home inspectors, same thing, pass a test, you're in. Look at combo inspectors, they inspect carpentry, plumbing, electrical and mechanical, probably qualified in neither. That is why I prefer to hire my gun to engineering firms, they only hire inspectors proficient in their discipline. I am going to sit for my BOCA bldg exams, OK, I spent some time as a framing carpenter, but that does not mean I'm truly qualified. Will I pass.....probably, I use the BOCA all the time in my work. Why ? because I would like to move to the Western part of VA, and figure the best job I could do is as a county inspector and in VA that means I MUST be certed in at least 2 disciplines. Another example of the gummint looking out for the citizen, but I digress to another subject. Go ahead and sit for your certs, you can use them all over the world, I got offered a job in China Friday, they are useful, and in the right hands, danged worth while. Knowledgable people have their value anywhere they go, I am not knocking the cert, just the way they are abused. Good luck [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by George Corron (edited 01-06-2002).]

S
Notes from the real world, kudos George!

methinks you somewhat make light of those tests though....

Redsy:

No special qualifications for the IAEI tests as they relate to time spent with the tools or in the field, or to carry any previous licenses. In Massachusetts, however, they require that a wiring inspector must be a licensed electrician.

I agree with that, and I also agree with George because the tests are based on knowledge of the code only --- answering 55? questions in two or more hours behind a computer pushing the right button for the correct answer a, b, c, or d.

I would like to see the examinations include an actual field inspection, say one residential, or commercial, or industrial.

I could think of some of the places I wandered into during my career, like the South Bronx, or New Haven, or New York, and let's not forget good old LA!

Got to be sure of what you'll get into when decisions have to be made.

I (we) will be there if anyone needs help with the testing.

Maybe some day the Caper from New Jersey will tell his story about the 10 electricians who took their IAEI certifications where this Code guy helped them over on Prodigy in the early 90's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard