Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Today at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78400 - 09/19/01 05:19 PM GEC Termination
Nick Offline

Loc: Riverside, CA
When running the grounding electrode conductor to a transformer a really clean way to terminate is to run through the grounding lug that's mounted to the can unspliced on it's way to XO. From the lug to the XO it doubles as the main bonding jumper. I realize that in a lot of cases you could end up with a undersized MBJ especially larger transformers but it works well on the smaller ones. My question is does this violate the listing of the lug it passes completely through? (The one mounted to the case) I have noticed that the conductor tends to loosen easily when applying this method. (for this reason I don't really like it) Using a quad lug on the case and running a separate MBJ is probably a better way. Any thoughts?

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#78401 - 09/19/01 05:40 PM Re: GEC Termination
sparky Offline

I have 'run-thru' GEC's using siemens LK-2's on strips, no problem whatsoever.

#78402 - 09/20/01 05:29 AM Re: GEC Termination
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
The problem I've had with this has stemmed from the head of the screw that fastens the lug to the enclosure protruding into the path of the conductor. I tried flat head screws, but had to chamfer the hole in the lug to accommodate the screw's bevel (then thought I was probably voiding said lug's listing...no help)

Any more, I just use a 2 conductor lug, and be done with it.

#78403 - 09/21/01 07:55 AM Re: GEC Termination
tdhorne Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
When running the grounding electrode conductor to a transformer a really clean way to terminate is to run through the grounding lug that's mounted to the can unspliced on it's way to XO. From the lug to the XO it doubles as the main bonding jumper. I realize that in a lot of cases you could end up with a undersized MBJ especially larger transformers but it works well on the smaller ones. My question is does this violate the listing of the lug it passes completely through? (The one mounted to the case) I have noticed that the conductor tends to loosen easily when applying this method. (for this reason I don't really like it) Using a quad lug on the case and running a separate MBJ is probably a better way. Any thoughts?

Just substitute a listed lay in lug. These are open on one side to permit the insertion of the conductor without needing to feed it through. They have a forked opening in the end opposite the mounting hole.
--
Tom

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison

#78404 - 09/24/01 06:41 PM Re: GEC Termination
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
That's a great solve!

#78405 - 10/18/01 04:07 PM Re: GEC Termination
gary long Offline

Loc: Greeley,Colorado,USA
Dont forget to take a wire brush and scrape that paint off under and around the lug first !!

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals