ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76895 03/29/01 09:32 AM
B
Does anyone out there, in the industry, use pulling sleeves in conduit runs?
This was a popular procedure, in Oregon, during the era of saw mill construction.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76896 03/29/01 01:51 PM
G
Would some inspectors say pulling sleeves violate 300-18. This section requires raceway to be "installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points prior to the
installation of conductors."
I have never used them, but could see how they could be used and not damage the wire. Were the ones you used UL approved?

Some say using a C condulet for a soap point instead of actually pulling out the wire is a violation. Calling something a pull point implies using it for a pull point. If the installation of conductors is easier on the workers and conductors without pulling it out, I would go with not pulling it out. Especially on pulls where communication may be a problem and risk someone getting his hand pulled into the conduit.

#76897 03/29/01 05:39 PM
R
I've never used a pulling sleeve. I had a job where I looked at using some, but after finding out the cost, I went a different route. Crouse Hinds calls them "pull boxes" and says they are listed under UL standard 886. They are also listed for use in classified areas and can be used as splice points.
I would say that if you install a C fitting as a required pull point, then the C fitting must have an opening large enough to allow the conductors to be pulled out at the fitting(see 370-28). If you install it as just a soap point and you have other boxes or fittings for the required pull points I see no problem.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#76898 03/29/01 06:57 PM
G
gpowellpec,

It probably would violate 300-18.

The installation should be a complete system with the Pulling Sleeve installed, aligned, and the conduit supported properly. Then the Pulling Sleeve is slid back over one the mating conduit.

The installation I was on was in the Mid 1950's. The conduit runs were in a tunnel between the Plant's Sub-Station and various buildings on the site.

If I remember correctly, the pulls I was on were 15KV. The 8' +/- opening at the Pulling Sleeve meant a lot to the pulling of the cable.

UL did not mean anything to the guys on the gang. Not sure it meant much to the supers.

I was on the "Forty-Four" Gang, 4 hat and 40 Shirt working on a "NarrowBack" job.

Glenn

#76899 03/29/01 07:05 PM
G
Just checked my 1956 NEC , section 3013, which is now 300-18.

The wording is generally the same.

It did have" - - -, except those raceways exposed and having removable covers or end capping. - - -"

It also mentioned types of pulling compounds.

Glenn

Link Copied to Clipboard