ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76865 - 03/26/01 02:23 PM Finishing a Basement
arthur Offline
Loc: maple grove, mn, USA
I'm finishing an unfinished basement. The builder actually did put some outlets in the basement walls one for each side during construction. My problem is, will this installation violate NEC because the outlets didn't follow the 6' rule ?

Also,
I plan to replace the existing bulb with a flourescent shop light. What I'm trying to do is just replace the bulb receptacle with an outlet, hang the shop light nearby and plug. Will this cause a violation since the outlet is too near the fixture ?

BTW, the bulb receptacle is using those plastic boxes (nailed to the joist) which also acts as a junction box.
2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#76866 - 03/26/01 03:14 PM Re: Finishing a Basement
sparky Offline
aurther;
Going from unfinished to finished has it's electrical considerations, which are best addressed now.

the proximity of the fluoresant plug-in cieling fixture, i believe, is code wise better closer than further away.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (gfretwell), 40 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals