The following was taken from OSHA's site. It reports on an electrocution that should not have taken place.
Accident Search Detail
Accident 014392328 - Electric Shock - Ground Fault in Hand Lamp
Accident 014392328 -- Report ID: 0625700
Hutco, Inc. .
An employee of a contract labor firm was working with a fitter on the port liquid mud tank in the double bottom of a ship in dry dock at a shipyard. Shortly before
10:30 PM, another employee (a fitter) replaced the light bulb on a portable hand lamp in the space. The first employee picked up an extension cord set and the
hand lamp so that he could connect them. He was electrocuted. The hand lamp and the extension cord were grounded. However, after the accident, the duplex
receptacle used with the extension cord was tested and found to have reversed polarity and an open ground. The employee had been supervised by the shipyard
supervisor and had been using equipment supplied by the shipyard.
Review: X Keywords: electrical,electrocuted,ground fault,equipment grounding ,shipyard,electric light, port,reverse polarity,cord set,e m,
Occupation Not Reported
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant