ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76242 - 01/08/01 01:41 PM Commercial Kitchen Range Hood
cinkerf Offline
Loc: Pittsburgh, Pennsysvania. ...
Does the exhaust fan and / or the make up air fan of a commercial kitchen range hood have to be wired to the fire alarm system to shut off in the event of a fire?
(Frank) cinkerf
2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#76243 - 01/08/01 06:46 PM Re: Commercial Kitchen Range Hood
Bill Addiss Offline
Loc: NY, USA
Frank,

I think that may be something that the locality decides. Check with the Fire Marshall. In at least one area here (LI, NY) I hear that they are requiring in residences that the A/C Blower or Attic Fan/Whole House Fan be connected to the (interconnected) Fire Alarms. It would make sense (to me) that this area would also want it in a situation like you describe, (maybe new installations?) but I do not know this to be true. Perhaps others can say if their area requires it.

I have seen Restaurants that use fans to makeup air that is taken out by the exhaust and it seems to me that this would be fertile ground for a Fire and it would probably be a good idea to have them shut down during a Fire.
#76244 - 01/09/01 09:00 AM Re: Commercial Kitchen Range Hood
gto6t7 Offline
Loc: Machias, ME
Frank,

The units that I have worked on had a blower shut-down but not on a general alarm. Only if the fire supression system on the hood (or gaylord, as the Navy called them) was activated.

Any one know where the name gaylord, for a hood comes from? Is it a Mfg name ?

Dave T.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (KrmtFrg), 57 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
KrmtFrg, Stack, Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals