by Tjia1981
Yesterday at 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74462 - 01/22/07 12:03 PM Photovoltaics
Happi_Man Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio - USA
Is anyone involved in photovoltaic installations. I've been researching the surface of this subject and its something that I REALLY would like to look into. I have found a national ceritifcation but each level of the ceritifation appears to require at least one year of installatin experience.

I've only read one book on the subject so I haven't figured it out completely but I am just wondering how one may get some hands on experience as an independant contractor or whatnot.

Any insight or discussion on this subject would be great. I think we need to really consider all of our options of renewable energy and where it could take us.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#74463 - 01/22/07 12:17 PM Re: Photovoltaics
ShockMe77 Offline

Loc: Rahway, New Jersey
I did a few photovoltaic systems for a contractor last year. The contracts were subbed out from Home Depot who in turn have a deal with British Petroleum.

In a few words... they are a PITA to install, unless you enjoy working on heavily slanted rooftops and tight time schedules The backyard-mounted types were pretty good. As far as profit goes, like anything else, they're hit or miss.

I believe the (1) year experience requirement can be waived by attending a seminar or two. I think manufacturers are desperate for installers so they want you to get qualified as soon as possible if you're interested.

#74464 - 01/22/07 06:34 PM Re: Photovoltaics
LarryC Offline

Loc: Winchester, NH, US

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals