ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74254 - 01/17/07 05:27 PM 4/0 box clips
BigB Offline
Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
I saw something new to me today. I was removing a metal 4/0 box from a ceiling, it was installed years ago as old work. It was an ordinary 4/0 box, but it was held into place by two flat pieces of metal, 4.5" or so long, that sat on top of the ceiling. Then there were two half moon shaped pieces that fit flush to the bottom of the ceiling, with machine screws that thread into the top two pieces. Then there were two more holes that line up with the threaded ears on the 4/0 box, which had screws holding the 4/0 box to all this. Finally, there were two more threaded holes in the half moons to hang the fixture from.

The only markings said "patent applied for"

I would like to find some more of these if they are still made. I do a lot of old work and sometimes it helps to have options in unusual situations, like when the hole in the ceiling is too big for a normal cut in box etc.
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Stack, Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals