Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Today at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
2 registered (DanK, LongRunner), 228 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7391 - 02/02/02 11:38 AM Sched 40 PVC for indoor exposed conduit run?
duanet Offline

Can I use exposed Schedule 40 PVC for an indoor circuit? (240 Volt from main panel to sub)

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#7392 - 02/02/02 12:00 PM Re: Sched 40 PVC for indoor exposed conduit run?
George Corron Offline

Loc: Lorton, Va USA
347-2 1999 code. Or outdoors, as long as you ain't hanging fixtures off it, or a hazardous location

#7393 - 02/03/02 08:55 AM Re: Sched 40 PVC for indoor exposed conduit run?
NoShorts4Me Offline

Loc: southern california
Reminds me of a job I was on years ago as an apprentice. It was at a " Trash Transfer" facility. City owned, 4- story, 2 acre concrete structure where it seemed thousands of trash trucks a day would arrive and dump there smelly "load". Ugh. The trash was then picked up by big loaders and pushed into a series of huge compactors. Then loaded into 40' tractor trailers.The smell was amazing. Hard to describe. But definitly a "methane" sort of aroma.
Anyways, entire project consisted of surface mounted sch 80 pvc with pvc boxes, fittings straps, etc. re-feeding all roof top ventilators, 10 trash compactors and lighting. Felt like I was installing a new sprinkler system.The senior building inspector was there everyday making sure we did things properly according to HIS plans.
Anyone out there worked in an atmosphere like this, and what did they classify your "environment" ?
Cheers,
NS4M

Ps. Pats +14 !!!!

#7394 - 02/03/02 09:40 AM Re: Sched 40 PVC for indoor exposed conduit run?
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
Worked in exactly the same place (different location perhaps) but boy what a dump This place was operational at the time and I was sure I would be scooped up and trucked away. You could not get that smell out of your nose!

#7395 - 02/03/02 12:42 PM Re: Sched 40 PVC for indoor exposed conduit run?
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Montenay Pacific facility/AES burns the trash for Long Beach, CA. They're about 500' from the salty Pacific Ocean. They convert it into electrical power. They are also what is termed a "Total Destruction Facility" They burn the drugs that are siezed in the Los Angeles area. The stuff coming out the smokestack is very pure
It's quite an interesting place to work. The environment there would make me wonder about your "corrosion" comments. Some of it won't last a month.(Stainless enclosure inside of a non-metallic enclosure)

#7396 - 02/03/02 01:44 PM Re: Sched 40 PVC for indoor exposed conduit run?
NoShorts4Me Offline

Loc: southern california
"The environment there would make me wonder about your "corrosion" comments. Some of it won't last a month.(Stainless enclosure inside of a non-metallic enclosure"

Did you ever know what they classified that site as?

NS4M

[This message has been edited by NoShorts4Me (edited 02-03-2002).]

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals