Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Today at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7386 - 02/02/02 05:56 AM low voltage lighting
mlundy Offline

I have seen a low voltage lighting system used in a few commercial locations that I would like to gather more information on.

The lighting system resembles a knob-and-tube wiring system. There are two conductors (sometimes insulated, sometimes not) installed approx. 4" apart in free air. Low voltage heads are connected to and supported by these branch circuit conductors. The secondary of a power transformer supplies the two conductors.

Does anyone know what this lighting system is called. More importantly can you refer me to manufacturers of such. Thanks in advance.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#7387 - 02/02/02 03:58 PM Re: low voltage lighting
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
These are usually called cable lights. I recently installed a system and they look great! Cant think of the manufacturer right now but search the web for cable lights and you will find something im sure. If I think of the manufacturer I'll post it here. You may want to knoe that these are a bit of a pain to install.

#7388 - 02/03/02 04:54 AM Re: low voltage lighting
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
I dont know where you are located but in the Boston area you could go to Wolfers Lighting and they would help you. Check out their web site www.wolfers.com hit the search button and then click on track and cable lights. They have a huge selection and quite a variety of styles.

#7389 - 02/03/02 05:20 AM Re: low voltage lighting
Sandro Offline

Loc: Stoney Creek, ON, Canada
Home Depot carries these lights too.

#7390 - 02/03/02 10:05 AM Re: low voltage lighting
Joe Tedesco Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
See the National Electrical Code ARTICLE 411 Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less
411.1 Scope.
This article covers lighting systems operating at 30 volts or less and their associated components.
411.2 Definition.
Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less. A lighting system consisting of an isolating power supply operating at 30 volts (42.4 volts peak) or less, under any load condition, with one or more secondary circuits, each limited to 25 amperes maximum, supplying luminaires (lighting fixtures) and associated equipment identified for the use.
411.3 Listing Required.
Lighting systems operating at 30 volts or less shall be listed for the purpose.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals