The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

   
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73843 - 01/02/07 08:08 PM Microwave blows up
Peter Offline
Member
Registered: 06/08/04
Posts: 93
Loc: San Diego
This question appeared on the Mike Holt forum and they gave him a lot of advice to "call an electrician":
"I have (had!) an above the stove microwave which plugged in to a receptacle above it in a cabinet. It's been there for over 3 years and operated without any problems. A few weeks ago the microwave stopped working. I replaced the fuse in the microwave and the electronics functioned properly but when it was actually ran, it completely stopped working. I purchased a new microwave, mounted it and the second I plugged it in, there was a large popping sound and a large spark traveling down the backside of the microwave. Needless to say it spooked me a bit."
I would like to expose this question to a wider audience in the hope of finding a cause for this catastrophe.
The only thing I can think of is perhaps a 240 volt receptacle but I somehow doubt it. Has anyone had a similar experience?
~Peter
Top
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#73844 - 01/02/07 08:19 PM Re: Microwave blows up
Lostazhell Offline
Member
Registered: 02/21/04
Posts: 1248
Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Your typical microwave comes with a NEMA 5-15 plug, so it shouldn't plug into a NEMA 6-15/20 outlet... I'd start with a voltage reading from the outlet under load... Something smells of open neutral/multiwire circuit.
Top
#73845 - 01/02/07 08:21 PM Re: Microwave blows up
mxslick Offline
Member
Registered: 10/24/04
Posts: 785
Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
Quote:
Something smells of open neutral/multiwire circuit.


Oh, Bob.....
_________________________
Stupid should be painful.
Top
#73846 - 01/02/07 08:22 PM Re: Microwave blows up
Lostazhell Offline
Member
Registered: 02/21/04
Posts: 1248
Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
MX you were the first person I thought of when I typed that
Top
#73847 - 01/02/07 08:24 PM Re: Microwave blows up
mxslick Offline
Member
Registered: 10/24/04
Posts: 785
Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
Thanks Randy!! Now we sit back and wait...
_________________________
Stupid should be painful.
Top
#73848 - 01/03/07 02:18 AM Re: Microwave blows up
iwire Offline
Moderator
Registered: 01/05/03
Posts: 4343
Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
Tony all kidding aside two wire circuits have problems as well.

If you don't want to use the type of circuit that delivers the electricity to your home, that is up to you.

But I will tell you I am tiring of your unsupported posts that multi wire circuits are inherently bad.

You have based your opinion on anecdotal evidence and not science.

Your are certainly entilitled to give your opinion but enough is enough.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-03-2007).]
_________________________
Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Top
#73849 - 01/03/07 02:30 AM Re: Microwave blows up
iwire Offline
Moderator
Registered: 01/05/03
Posts: 4343
Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
FWIW I would also be looking for an open neutral condition somewhere.

It could even be at the utility and the Micro was just the first victim.
_________________________
Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Top
#73850 - 01/03/07 03:17 AM Re: Microwave blows up
Roger Offline
Member
Registered: 05/18/02
Posts: 1779
Loc: N.C.
I will also jump on this bandwagon.

Tony, if it scares you so much then by all means don't use the method, for those of us who do use it and never have problems with it, we will continue to do so. Your bad experiences can probably be attributed more to sorry workmanship of the installer(s)than to the wiring method itself.

If it's so terribly bad you should lobby to have all residential services redone with individual grounded conductors for each ungrounded conductor worldwide, after all they are MWC's.


Roger



[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 01-03-2007).]
Top
#73851 - 01/03/07 12:29 PM Re: Microwave blows up
LK Offline
Member
Registered: 01/21/03
Posts: 1721
Loc: New Jersey
"Your bad experiences can probably be attributed more to sorry workmanship of the installer(s)than to the wiring method itself."

I am no fan of multi wire circuits, being used just for the purpose of saving a few bucks, but that does not make them bad, or dangerous to install, they have their place, and i would use them without worry, the problems usually arise, when they are installed by someone that does not understand them.
Top
#73852 - 01/03/07 01:25 PM Re: Microwave blows up
electech Offline
Member
Registered: 02/18/02
Posts: 113
Loc: Northern Il
Consumers should call an electrician any time a replacement item fails out of box.

Though my work is in regulatory approvals / product safety, I say this because one day I may be an electrician...
Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Recent Posts
License exam
by TRUE POWER
48 minutes 0 seconds ago
Looking for older post
by sparkyinak
Today at 12:27 AM
Members: Non-Members: Did you know?
by Admin
Yesterday at 02:34 PM
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1
01/21/17 08:51 PM
International Wire Colour Codes
by Texas_Ranger
01/21/17 03:29 PM

Who's Online
1 registered (Admin), 92 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters
gfretwell 9066
Trumpy 8560
pauluk 7693
HotLine1 6833
sparky 5545
Member Spotlight
Member Since: 03/13/07
Posts: 167

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals