ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#72701 12/07/06 06:13 PM
R
rad74ss Offline OP
I have been trying to find a definitive definition of a motor starter. The root of the question is whether or not a motor starter is a combined contactor and overload, or if it can be a contactor with a separate overload. On electrical schematics the difference would be between putting a C prefix on the contactor or an S suffix.

I have always used starter to mean a one piece contactor/overload setup. If they are separate I call one piece the contactor and the other the overload so that bill of materials knows that there are supposed to be two items.

Is there an actual definition somewhere? I haven't had luck finding one yet.

Thanks,

Robert

#72702 12/07/06 09:08 PM
Basically, to the best of my knowledge you described a motor starter above.

As to multiple parts (contactor & sep. OL's) you still have the same thing, you need both.

An "official" decision or definition regarding a 'one piece' or 'two piece' assembly probably does not exist.

John

John
#72703 12/07/06 09:19 PM
Cat Servant
We've got a bit spoiled...

When I entered the trade, there were plenty on places where the massive old machines had the disconnect, the fuses, the contactor, and the overloads all in separate enclosures!

These days, we get it all combined in nice, neat cabinets.

I don't think calling the separate items a "starter" to be good grammar; I'd expect them to at least be in the same box.

The issue can become even muddier with IEC style gear. With them, the "starter" is but one lump in the control cabinet....

#72704 12/08/06 02:57 AM
J
I agree, there is no "official" definition that revolves around the method of connection.

But this might help. There really isn't a "one piece" starter in NEMA designs either; the overload is always a separate device. There are just 2 ways of connecting it to the contactor; close coupled, i.e. with stabs that connect directly to the contactor terminals; or stand alone, where the user must make connections with wire between them. To add to the mix, when you get above NEMA size 4, the overload is completely separate because the power must go through CTs, and only the CT secondaries go through the OLR.

All of these are "starters", because if it is used on a motor circuit, it is a starter. If it is used on something else like a heater element, you don't need the OLR, so it is just a contactor.

JRaef
#72705 12/08/06 05:30 PM
F
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:0CD0qhN_8fUJ:www.enm.com/training/siemenscoursedownload.asp%3Fcourse%3Dmcc_3+motor+starter+definition&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=1

#72706 12/08/06 11:46 PM
R
I've always considered a "starter" had to have the overload relay, whether it was integral to the contactor or separately wired.

Also, a "combination starter" would contain three items, short circuit protection, contactor and overload relay. To be a combination starter, all three components could be separately mounted. However, I also always considered these items needed to be in the same enclosure to be considered a starter.

#72707 12/09/06 12:11 AM
E
Quote from jraef: All of these are "starters", because if it is used on a motor circuit, it is a starter. If it is used on something else like a heater element, you don't need the OLR, so it is just a contactor.

I had a teacher who always said that!

Link Copied to Clipboard