ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#72082 11/18/06 09:53 PM
K
kencr Offline OP
Does anyone here work in Atlantic City Electric Co area ??
We just did a 400 amp 3 phase 240 volt service in south jersey.
It was just a upgrade from 200 amp. Got the permit, did the paper work for the power company.
Used the approved meter socket model# that we got rite off the power companys web-site.

Had the job inspected ( passed )then called the power company to see when the 400 amp meter could be intalled so that we could remove the old service..

A power company guy went and checked the job .. then he called me and said I needed a 400 amp outdoor disconnect BEFORE the meter. I explained that we just did the same service a few miles away about 3 months ago with no disconnect. He said power company policy change .. I must install a disconnect before the meter socket.

I went back online and went through their on line service and meter instructions.. Either I am blind.. or it does not say or require a switch berore the meter socket .

My question is .. what would you do ?
Tell the customer it is going to cost them $800 for the switch .. plus the time to do it.. or fight the power company .. the new policy ?? was not in their online service requirement manual.

Stumped in SJ ..... Please give me your thoughts.. even if your not a NJ guy

#72083 11/18/06 11:07 PM
S
I'm a Jersey guy.

I live in Rahway.

And I can't believe they insist on a disconnect BEFORE the meter.

There are plenty of NJ guys here that'll know more about this requirement. What POCO is requiring you to do this?

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 11-18-2006).]

#72084 11/18/06 11:14 PM
K
kencr Offline OP
Atlantic City Electric... was Conective last year. Went back to ACE They serve a good part of south jersey.

Yes before the meter socket ... new one to me too. I asked the guy to fax or e-mail a copy of the new policy .. havent heard a thing in a week. The customer is waiting ..

#72085 11/18/06 11:25 PM
M
It's a requirement for JCP&L in certain circumstances. Typically if the transformer bank serves more than one service. They want to be able to shut down just one service if they need to work on the meter. I don't fully understand it, but they want it. We had to do it in Red Bank as far back as 4 yrs ago.

As for who pays - tough one.

Who designed the service?

#72086 11/18/06 11:48 PM
K
kencr Offline OP
I desgined it.. the boss reviewed it signed and sealed the drawing along with the permit app. He then took it the township. Everything was A-OK said the inspector, and he sent in the cut-in-card.

Pretty simple service, overhead 4" pvc with 500 mcm to meter socket, 4" pvc & 500s out of meter socket to new 400 amp main breaker NQOD panelboard. 200 amp sub-feed breaker to existing panel.

Building is on the end of a street, has its own set of transformers on the pole. 120/240 3 phase delta.

The existing 200 amp meter is still in use till the new service is hooked up .. I am wondering if they some how think it is staying ?? Maybe that is why they want a disco ?? Here is ACEs Service Handbook.
http://www.atlanticcityelectric.com...chures/street_lighting/elec_srv_hand.pdf

#72087 11/18/06 11:51 PM
M
then unfortunately, you are really on the hook for it. You can fight the POCO all you want, probably won't win. They don't care if they energize it or not.

Customer will say, rightly so, I hired you to do the job. You designed it. It's not my fault you did it wrong.

You can talk to the POCO, but if they are like JCP&L you are better off (removed)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-19-2006).]

#72088 11/19/06 12:08 AM
K
kencr Offline OP
I have delt with the power company rep a few times .. he is a good guy .. I am hoping he will let it go.. most likely not though..

I just dont understand how they can make a policy change like that and not update their own handbook.
Do we need to ask on every job if there has been changes ??

We did darn near the same 400 amp service a few months ago.. same power co.. same power company rep. No disco required.

O well .. I guess We will have to deal with in the up comming week ...

Thanks for your input ..along with any others who decide to chime in .. feel free to comment guys .. I am all ears .. or all eyes in this case

#72089 11/19/06 12:16 AM
M
I just dont understand how they can make a policy change like that and not update their own handbook.
Do we need to ask on every job if there has been changes ??

Ever since JCP&L was purchased by First Energy, not only do you have to ask on every job, but you have to ask 6 different people and you will get 6 different answers. They don't even know their own requirements, but they will never budge an inch.

Good luck.

#72090 11/19/06 09:36 AM
N
I posted on this topic a while ago.

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006773.html

They drove me nuts with this - We were doing work in PSEG territory where it is not required.

The kicker is - our customer (a large international construction management firm representing AT&T/Cingular) was more than willing to pay for the change order if we could either give them a spec that said it was required or a signed letter from JCP&L saying it was required in these cases.

JCP&L could not provide either - unbelieveable

#72091 11/19/06 07:22 PM
D
Sounds like its time to call the better busines bureau, state's attourney's office, maybe even some local reporters. If enough complaints are filed the state might start applying pressure.

Yes its really my name
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard