ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 251 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#71377 10/27/06 08:04 PM
T
I had final today on an 11000 square ft dental office. (I'll post pics one of these days, this place is so cool) Anyways, the only thing I failed was having switches to close to a shower. The switches are located next to the entry door and the only place to put them within this bathroom. They are located 4' from this rather large shower opening. The electrical inspector told me they needed to be GFI protected. I was told by the inspector that I could slave the switches from a GFI near the switches. I told him I would change it as not to screw up an occupancy. I went out to the truck, got some tools and a few feet of wire (had to search for a purpule for awhile). Now, if I am reading 404.4 correctly, he is completly wrong. Unfortunately, he held up occupancy for this. This bathroom was the last stop on his trip around the place and while I was doing what he asked, he wrote me up and left the failure ticket with the GC. I'M SO HOT. I wasn't the only trade on the job to fail, so I'm not the only one to hold the bag. 700+ openings,300+ fixtures, a 150kva standby generator and over 200 circuits, only fail on misinterpretation. I want to strangle someone. Obtw. I did slave the room and sure enough.... The gfi trips. Go figure.

#71378 10/27/06 08:46 PM
E
e57 Offline
Tell him to find a code to fail you on and rub it in his face!!!!! Go over his head, and teach him a lesson. Beat it into his head..... If he wants to request that lighting be GFI'ed, he should be more cordial about it - IMODO! (That is if you have no violation of 410.4D - then he is doing you a favor by asking for a GFI instead.... But there is no mention of "switches" in that code.)

Flouresent lighting on GFI's will sometimes trip, but make sure.....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard