ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#70373 10/04/06 08:13 AM
S
How do some of you set the disconnect at a drilled well. I had one that had a 1 inch threaded opening where the wire was coming out. I ended up getting a 1" X 1/2" reducer and had to use a 8" galvanized nipple to get it high enough to screw a weatherproof bell box on, so it would miss the faucet and pipes coming out of the well. Even though with the cover on the well,though it may not be considered a "wet location", I wanted to use a weatherproof box, just in case the cover got blown off or something ( it was just a fiberglass one). Ended up being there til after dark, working by headlights of van [Linked Image] There was really no room to do much of anything else unless I could have screwed a 90 degree fitting into my 1" X 1/2" reducer, then flexed it around and then down to a box and mounted it on the fiberglass well casing itself. That would have been a bulky looking site, and don't know if it would have worked. Any suggestions? Thanks Steve..

#70374 10/04/06 09:29 AM
M
What I did was laid a 2" PVC under ground from the house (room for future expansion...) to a 12x12x6 NEMA 3 box for pulling. This was mounted to the well head steel casing on some unistrut. Three pieces made a triangle (in plan view) for upper screws, and three for the lower. A disco was mounted on the second side, and the starter / run capicitor was mounted on the third side. I looped from one box to the next using LTFNMC and same to the well cap. It has a 3/4" fem so I just used a reducer like you did to get it to 1/2".
The boxes are mounted solidly and its all NEMA3. To be fair, my well cap is 3' above grade and the pitless adapter is 6' under ground, so I didn't have any pipes at all to deal with.

Mike Wescoatt
#70375 10/04/06 12:20 PM
G
Everybody has a well here and the usual setup is a 3/4" RNC from the house to a PVC 3 hub FS box that is setting up about a foot on the feeder raceway and one more for support. Be sure to cap the one that is only for support or ants will invade the box.
They then come out of the top hub over to the well head. Sometimes they will transition to Carflex for that so the well guy can swing it out of the way for service.
Water doesn't freeze here so the pipes are above ground at the well head.

Greg Fretwell
#70376 10/04/06 08:31 PM
D
I just set a pt 4x4 about 1' away from the well casing with about 3' sticking out of the ground, with 3/4 pvc coming up into an ac disconnect mounted to the post and liquidtight flex going to the pressure switch.

Has anyone ever actually grounded the well casing itself, and if so, how?

#70377 10/05/06 09:23 AM
M
I threaded a 3/8" bolt into the side of the casing then ran a 1/0 EGC from the head (in a lug) to the service panel. I now have a 375' ground rod... ;-) (in addition to the u-fer in the footing) This was part of the reason for the 2" tube...

Mike Wescoatt
#70378 10/05/06 03:38 PM
C
Around here, submersible pumps in single family residential or light agricultural wells typically don't have disconnects at the wellhead, but in the basement next to the pressure system components.

#70379 10/05/06 06:49 PM
V
breaker lock at the service panel for residential

Link Copied to Clipboard