ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Redsy Offline OP
OK, the neighbor from -ell has "turned me in" to the township for running my business from home.

I seem to fit the description of a "no-impact" home based business, which is permitted.

I have no signs, no large deliveries come here no employees come here, I store minimal inventory in my garage, and I only have one truck (mine).

Anyone have any insight?

S
What kind of problem could your neighbor possibly have with you running your business out of your house? Seems to me you're running your business like alot of other electricians do, out of their homes to save money on overhead. Nothing wrong with that, IMHO.

R
Redsy Offline OP
He is mad because I installed an above-ground pool. (With permits & inspections).

I
Time to start wearing a speedo at the pool and bending over in his direction. [Linked Image]

Seriously it may be time to get an attorney before this spirals out of hand.

Your business sounds low impact to me.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
^^

*spits up drink in laughter*

Speedo, lol

L
LK Offline
"Seriously it may be time to get an attorney before this spirals out of hand."

Good advice.

Sounds like your neighbor, needs something to keep him busy, a pile of respond to letters, from your lawyer may be just the thing he needs!

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, I'm seeing an attornet Tuesday.
I think I'll be OK, but I am pi--ed off.

Has anyone ever dealt with this sort of thing?

G
You should be able to resolve this with the city, maybe without an attorney. The main question will be what the definition of a low impact business is. If you don't have customers calling and you don't have any external signs of your business visable from the street I don't think they have a leg to stand on. I know some people get their panties in a wad if you park your truck in front of the house, even in your driveway. It is illegal in a couple of cities around here.

Greg Fretwell
M
Redsy: I hate to play the "devil's advocate" here because a rational person would find nothing offensive in the home business setup you described (and I'm downright envious about the pool [Linked Image]...It's hotter than fire down here in SE Texas) BUT, does operating a business or even having a swimming pool violate any kind of municipal ordinances or deed restrictions in your area? I'm assuming that if there was a problem with the pool, the permit would have been denied by the powers that be. I know of some "Nazi-style" homeowners associations which have absolute hissy fits if your grass is one milimeter too high or the color of your house is some unallowable color.

LK has the right idea. A few finely worded cease and desist letters from your attorney would provide your "neighbor" with a good pasttime activity.

There is also a lot to be said for the phrase, "good fences make good neighbors".

Best of luck to you in your situation. Please let us know how it turns out.

Mike (mamills)

H
Turned you in? Ok, what did the township have to say? If it's obvious that you "fit the description of a "no-impact" home based business, which is permitted" then you have nothing to worry about.

I would wait to hear from them. If they disagree then it would be time to spend some money on an attorney.

-Hal

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard