Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 35
HotLine1 20
Trumpy 17
Ruben Rocha 17
gfretwell 15
Who's Online
2 registered (Admin, Trumpy), 162 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6732 - 01/10/02 01:24 PM Advice Needed
MikeBriggs Offline

Loc: Middlesbrough, Cleveland, Engl...
Hi
I wonder if you can help me, I'm a 18 year old electrical student in England, I'm coming to the end of my two year course. I will finish the course in June 2002, At then end of which I will be a fully qualified electrician. The qualifications I will have at the end of the course will be 'Electrical Installation City & Guilds Certificate NVQ Level 2'. You can read about this qualification in the link provided below.
http://www.stokecoll.ac.uk/courses/parttime/construc/E092.HTM

At the end of the course im hoping to get a electrical job here in England and gain a year experience, At the end of the year (summer 2003) me and my fellow electrical student are hoping to move to America possibly New York and look for a electrical job or a apprentice, And this is where you can help me. Could you provide me with a list of electrical companies or who might be willing to take on two electricians. I hope you can help me.

Many Regards

Michael Briggs

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#6733 - 01/10/02 02:48 PM Re: Advice Needed
sparky Offline

Mike,
here's 278 of them, i wish you luck
http://yp102.superpages.com/listings.pht...ntractors&T

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-10-2002).]

#6734 - 01/10/02 03:48 PM Re: Advice Needed
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Mike,

You can post your inquiry over at www.Electrical-Classified.com and take a look around while you are there. You might find something that suits your needs.

Good Luck,

Bill

#6735 - 01/10/02 03:53 PM Re: Advice Needed
MikeBriggs Offline

thanx alot guys im looking now

#6736 - 01/11/02 11:53 AM Re: Advice Needed
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
Hi Mike,

Nice to see a fellow Brit here!

This isn't quite related to your question, but make sure you sort out the paperwork with he INS in plenty time.

I was offered a job in Nebraska at the end of 1994, and it took almost a full year to get approval from the State Dept. of Labor, immigrant visa approved by the INS and final interview in Grosvenor Square.

That was an application to become a "permanent resident alien," (i.e. to get a Green Card). It might be quicker if you're only applying for a temporary work permit, but start things rolling as soon as you can.

Oh yes, and as soon as you arrive in the States you can forget half of everything you learned about circuit arrangements, cable sizes, and so on!

Good luck.

#6737 - 01/11/02 02:32 PM Re: Advice Needed
MikeBriggs Offline

yeah thanx alot guys for all ur help, yeah ive sent out well over a 100 emails to different companies and apprentice schemes moslty in ny, ive had mebies 1 or 2 promising emails so hopefully it goes ok ill keep you all informed

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals