ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#67189 06/29/06 01:53 AM
K
kojunho Offline OP
looking to buy the ridgid heavy duty drill, but havent used one in person. any experiences?? what about the right angle super hawg?? or other drills that your guys like.

[This message has been edited by kojunho (edited 06-29-2006).]

E
e57 Offline
All time favorite is Milwaukee right angle with the 30" extention....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
M
The best answer I can give you is that I have been able to burn out standard Milwalkee right angle drills, but not my trusty hole-hawg. It is more difficult to control when the bit encounters one of those nasty shiny things the carpenters throw all over the floor than the right angle jobs however.

E
e57 Offline
What kind of abuse are you giving to burn out (more than one?) right angles?

Even with sever abuse, I have only ever seen one go to the shop for new brushes, and it was 20 years old.... My personal one gets a lot of use, and only 10 years old. The only problem I have is loosing the chuck key...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
P
Many a wrist and ego have bruised by a hole hawg they are not for the faint of heart. If you plan on putting a 4 1/2 in hole saw on it you better hang on. No drill can compare to the power of a hawg.

J
depends on what kind of drilling you are doing. If you are just trying to get through joists and plates with a 3/4 to 1" ship auger style bit, then you cant go wrong with a 1/2" Makita. This is not the right angle version, I have used them for my 20 years in the trade. Also works for larger hole saws etc.

K
kojunho Offline OP
i was just interested in the ridgid b/c it has a clutch to prevent the kickback. but, i dont know how effective it is.

Broom Pusher and
I tried using a Right-Angled drill a few times, but it just didn't have the "Same Feel" as a "Good 'Ol Hole Hawg" does!

However, when coming across

one of those nasty shiny things the carpenters throw all over the floor

it was a much different experience with the Right-Angled guy, as compared with a "Standard" Hole Hawg.

But then again, I was "Apprenticed" with a Hole Hawg in Low Gear, which gives you a crash course in "How Not To Become A Propeller" Principles!!!
[Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
I'm with Scott35 on this.
All through my apprenticeship and afterwards I used an Auger Bit (kept sharp under the Tradesmans directions) on the end of a Metabo Drill unit.
My advice to anyone new to using a drill, is watch what you are doing, don't be distracted and start off slowly, speed up as the screw bites the wood.
If I can give you one piece of advice, make sure you don't hit the trigger lock.
I'm still missing skin off of my knuckles, 12 years later.
Drills are the single most dangerous tools for apprentices, DYK?. [Linked Image]

I
I keep a Milwaukee Hole hawg in the truck as my heavy duty drill of choice.

Just note when buying a hole hawg, they are not all the same.

Milwaukee makes the hole hawg with three RPM ranges.

300/1200

450/1750

I have the 300/1200 RPM version with great torque but be ready it will take you for a ride if your not paying attention. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 06-30-2006).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard