ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67171 06/28/06 01:01 PM
P
plee Offline OP
I did the electric service upgrad to 150 amp 3 years ago for my house in Nassau county in NY. Recently I noticed that the wire from the house to street pole was actually not changed by that electrician and it looks like older type with metal sheath when I compared to neighbor's. My guess is that he didn't need to change it because the gauge of that wire is good for 150A. But the wire seems rusted and the end of the wire attaches to my house siding seems weak (due to rust). Can anyone tell me who owns this wire (from house to pole)? Utility company or me? What should I do if I have the concern that the bolt attached to the house siding is failing and the wire could fall?

Thanks a lot!!!

R
I can not say it is the same in NY but in NC this drop to the weather head is owned by the Power Company. After the weather head it belongs to you.

Roger

I
In my experience; if it is after the meter, you own it; if it is before the meter, the POCO owns it.

M
Pretty much the same here in SE Texas - the drop (up to the crimp connectors at the weatherhead) and the meter belong to the POCO. Everything else goes to the homeowner.

My intial thought would be to have a local EC cast an eyeball at your situation and tell you whose dime it is for the repair.

Mike (mamills)

plee,

I'm in Suffolk. Everything on the house (except the meter itself) - including the bolt is owned by you, and your responsibility. The wire between the house and the pole is owned by the utility.

You can call the utility if you think the wire to the pole is in bad shape and they will send someone out to look at it.

Bill

Bill
G
The word we are dancing around is "service point" and that is usually the crimp at the drip loop ... as everyone says.
The only thing that seems to change is who owns the meter base and enclosure.
In new construction the builder buys it but when I did a service upgrade FPL gave me one.
I still had to install it. The mast and conductors are all mine.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard