by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 230 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66776 - 06/17/06 11:00 AM GPS Navigation
Ron Offline

Loc: White Plains, NY
I'm considering buying a portable GPS Navigation unit to get to appointments and project sites (I normally roam a lot rather than asking directions). Has anyone tried something like a Garmin Novi 350 or a Magellan Roadmate equivalent?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#66777 - 06/17/06 11:04 AM Re: GPS Navigation
hbiss Offline

Loc: Hawthorne, NY USA
I find that a map and knowing how to read one is much cheaper.

-Hal

#66778 - 06/17/06 11:21 AM Re: GPS Navigation
Electric Eagle Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I've considered purchasing one of these for each truck. My guys can get lost driving anywhere. I think I might save the cost in short time just in labor time to the jobs.

#66779 - 06/17/06 12:28 PM Re: GPS Navigation
capt al Offline

Loc: Norton, Ma USA
I have used a Magellan Roadmate. It got me to my destination. Also had problems with it. Checking the review section on Amazon.com I found the problems I had were very common to Magellan units. Go with a Garmin unit. They make quite a few models. I am looking at a Garmin C550.

Al

#66780 - 06/17/06 12:44 PM Re: GPS Navigation
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
I can see some use for GPS... especially if you document the heck out of your jobs. You can plot the locations of lines and boxes that just might be hard to find after the parking lot is paved...

Out here in Nevada, I have received "addresses" that read 'Take I-80 to exit 245, then drive 70 milen NNE' - and the pavement ends right at the exit! GPS might be a real aid for the mining / ranching districts out here.

BUT- Neither maps nor GPS are a substitute for an awake mind. "100 feet ahead" from the GPS just might leave out details like the 50 ft. cliff just in front of you! Nor will it tell you that the route it's chosen just might be flooded, shut for repairs, or be too soft for travel.

#66781 - 06/17/06 05:25 PM Re: GPS Navigation
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
Tom-Tom, How do I get to work?
Tom-Tom, I think we dropped a ladder off the rack on the freeway?
Tom-Tom, we're lost - Screw it, lets go surfing.

Anyway, I'm with Hal on this. A Thomas Bros. , accurate, inexpensive, reliable. And no one will break in to your truck to steal it....

#66782 - 06/18/06 12:16 AM Re: GPS Navigation
macmikeman Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Before calculators came out, I could multiply figures in my head. Got dependant on calculators and lost it. We have a really good street map book, which is a must for a place where just about every street name starts with, a K, or a W. (occasional L also)

#66783 - 06/18/06 12:37 AM Re: GPS Navigation
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
I use a very inexpensive GPS unit, along with old fashioned maps or Internet directions.

The GPS I have will tell me the street name I am on and cross street I am coming up on.

In the cities in this area street signs are almost non existent.

I don't care how good I am with a map when I am in heavy traffic the GPS helps.

Yes there are limitations, when I was riding with "Capt Al" the GPS we where using kept steering us to parkways that we where not allowed on.

Right now as much as I like electronic toys I can not justify $750+ for a co-pilot.

#66784 - 06/18/06 04:24 AM Re: GPS Navigation
walrus Offline

Loc: Bangor Me. USA
I have a Garmin Street Pilot, about 500 bucks on Amazon. Its not really portable(as in stick it in your pocket) but can be moved from vehicle to vehicle and does have have batteries so you could use it walking I suppose. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I could get lost in a closet so its great for a direction challenged person such as myself. I got it to go to Milwaukee. It was a life saver as they are doing a huge amount of construction on the major interchange in the city. Got to the Bradley center, Miller Park and all around without too much trouble even though many exits were closed and detours were everywhere. Can't wait to use it in Boston

#66785 - 06/18/06 04:30 AM Re: GPS Navigation
ShockMe77 Offline

Loc: Rahway, New Jersey
I used to use one with a previous company. They were hit or miss if you ask me. Any time I was in a wooded area in south Jersey I couldn't get a signal from the satellite and I was well, you know, SOL. I prefer reading a Hagstrom map. If it's not broke don't fix it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals