Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
12/09/16 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Potseal 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 81 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66412 - 06/02/06 11:28 PM wide Boots
wv-wire-wrangler Offline

Loc: Morgantown, WV
Hi,

I'm sorry to ask a question about boots here and if the moderaters want to delete it it's fine by me but if possible I need help finding extra wide work boots.

I am currently wearing Cabela's outfitter non-steel toe model 10 1/2 5E sized boots. They do not sell any boot that size with steel toes.

If I get into ANY trade work I am going to need steel toe boots. The problem is I can't find any in my size. I've looked in every store and website I can find but no go. I even checked with a foot doctor. He didn't know.

There has to be a few tradesmen out-there that have wide feet. Where do you by your boots?

I am wanting to get a regular leather pair and then a rubber pair. Both in steel toe.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Sam

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#66413 - 06/03/06 03:06 AM Re: wide Boots
Celtic Offline

Loc: NJ
 Quote:

If I get into ANY trade work I am going to need steel toe boots.

What makes you say that?

I've:
- dug ditches
- worked in manholes
- worked in buildings, homes and factories
- walked steel
- worked out of buckets and lifts
etc

...and have never used steel tipped shoes...and I see all ten little piggies every night.

I'm not saying don't get them, I'm just asking why you are so adamant about getting them?

#66414 - 06/03/06 03:51 AM Re: wide Boots
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
I have owned few steel toe shoes I just don't like them.

We work for a few customers that require toe protection and they lend us toe caps that strap over your normal boots.

All that aside have you tried 'Red-wing' I have heard they have a lot of choices.

#66415 - 06/03/06 04:22 AM Re: wide Boots
walrus Offline

Loc: Bangor Me. USA
Not only do I have wide feet but long also. As they say, big house, big foundation . Red Wing can fit me in steel toes, I'm pretty sure they help you also.

#66416 - 06/03/06 05:47 AM Re: wide Boots
wv-wire-wrangler Offline

Loc: Morgantown, WV
Why do I so adamant about getting these?

My DAD.

He told me that about 90% of jobsites and coal mines won't let you on site without them.

So, Do I need them?

I just never questioned his comment, I figured he knew ( though he's not in construction).

I'll check-out Redwing.

Thanks much fella's!!!

Sam

#66417 - 06/03/06 05:58 AM Re: wide Boots
George Corron Offline

Loc: Lorton, Va USA
I have just the opposite problem. My feet are narrow. Check out the catalogs, nearly ALL advertisements are for medium and wide feet.

Redwing is about the only one I can get proper fitting shoes from.

Everywhere I work requires leather work boots, but not steel toes, it can be detrimental to electrical work, but there are tech toes.

Last time I hung around coal mines, though, it was steel caps and metatarsal protection as well.
Good luck.

#66418 - 06/03/06 06:44 AM Re: wide Boots
Celtic Offline

Loc: NJ
Do you "need" them?

I don't really think anyone here can answer that question. It may boil down to where/whom you will actually work for.
In construction - whether it be home, office of plant - I have never been required to have them. Now mining - that's an area where I have no experience.
Where ever you land, the company will have a rule about steel tips:
a) Mandatory
b) Optional
c) Not allowed
d) Not addresssed.

I will also put in a vote for Red Wings(RW) ~ and also Irish Setter. If you do goto the RW store, be sure to check out their "clearance" area. I bought a pair of RW boots 3 years ago for $200+, they needed re-soling (yes, RW does that). Last re-sole cost me $40 which seemed like a bargin to me. This time they wanted $70.. WOW...copper isn't the only thing going up! Out of the corner of my eye I saw the clearance pile. My $200+ boots were now "discontinued" and for sale for $90...hmm $90 new or $70 for re-sole? I bought 2 pairs...LOL.

...and don't forget to get the American flags for the laces.

#66419 - 06/03/06 07:04 AM Re: wide Boots
LoneGunman Offline

Loc: Florida
I also reccomend and wear ONLY Redwing boots. They are expensive but they last. I personally won't buy the Irish Setter line as they are not made in the US.

#66420 - 06/03/06 08:17 AM Re: wide Boots
SolarPowered Offline

Loc: Palo Alto, CA, USA
George, I have bad news--Red Wings has dropped their narrow widths. They only go down to B width now. I need AA, and I can't get them there. And even their B widths run quite wide in the heel--they're more like a D width heel.

FYI, I've found that some of the Italian shoes run quite narrow. I have some Ecco Track II walking shoes that fit OK. And for my bicycle, the Sidi Dominators fit well enough.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 06-03-2006).]

#66421 - 06/03/06 11:55 AM Re: wide Boots
Fred Offline

Loc: Straughn, IN 47387
My Redwing dealer must have a lot of old stock. He still supplies me with my 13 AA shoes. I'm real fortunate to have him around. He's an Amish fellow who has a shoe and harness repair shop. I pay $110.00 for the same Redwing shoes that sell for $210.00 at the Redwing store in Indy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals