ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66379 - 05/31/06 11:53 PM is it up to the inspector?
drgnz23 Offline
Registered: 02/17/02
Posts: 56
Loc: los angeles
Okay im doing a 200 amp service change.
(1)Does my ground have go from the panel to the main water line then to my ground rod or can i save some money and start with the ground rod first ? Considering prices are so high for coppper i dont want to back track my ground and use another 50 ft...
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#66380 - 06/01/06 01:28 AM Re: is it up to the inspector?
Trumpy Offline

Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 8211
Loc: SI,New Zealand
Did you bid too low?.
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin
#66381 - 06/01/06 03:39 AM Re: is it up to the inspector?
je1ff Offline
Junior Member
Registered: 07/16/04
Posts: 1
Don't you run a seperate ground from the panel to each? You only need #6 to the rod, and you need #4 for the waterpipe.
#66382 - 06/01/06 04:26 AM Re: is it up to the inspector?
steve ancient apprentice Offline
Registered: 03/04/05
Posts: 169
Loc: west springfield,mass
I totally agree with je1ff. #6 wire to the ground rods and # 4 to the water pipe with proper clamps to jump the meter. Have never seen it done any other way. Years ago they just ran it to the water meter but not today.
#66383 - 06/01/06 06:56 AM Re: is it up to the inspector?
BigB Offline
Registered: 03/31/04
Posts: 719
Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
Where 2 rods are required, would it be NEC compliant to run 2 GEC's from the main bus, one to each rod?
#66384 - 06/01/06 07:37 AM Re: is it up to the inspector?
Roger Offline
Registered: 05/18/02
Posts: 1716
Loc: N.C.
You can run a propper sized (largest required for the sevice) GEC to the first electrode and use jumpers to bond all the rest together.

Although it is okay to run a seperate GEC to each GE it is not necessary, see 250.50

#66385 - 06/01/06 07:57 AM Re: is it up to the inspector?
macmikeman Offline
Registered: 07/16/02
Posts: 717
Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Nice drawing Roger. May I add the word "Interior" to the blue colored note? 250.52

[This message has been edited by macmikeman (edited 06-01-2006).]
#66386 - 06/01/06 08:09 AM Re: is it up to the inspector?
Bill Addiss Offline
Registered: 10/07/00
Posts: 3875
Loc: NY, USA
For what it's worth our local POCO requires a separate GEC to each rod.

#66387 - 06/01/06 08:51 AM Re: is it up to the inspector?
Roger Offline
Registered: 05/18/02
Posts: 1716
Loc: N.C.
Thanks Mike, but I can't take the credit, the drawing is out of the handbook.

As Bill points out, sometimes there are rules outside of the NEC or local electrical codes that we must follow.

#66388 - 06/01/06 02:39 PM Re: is it up to the inspector?
Ryan_J Offline
Registered: 08/19/03
Posts: 1374
Loc: West Jordan, Utah, USA
I tend to disagree with the handbook drawing in this instance. The last sentance of 250.53(D)(2) states that a supplemental electrode must be bonded to:
1) The GEC,
2) The service nuetral,
3) The service conduit, or
4) A grounded service enclosure.

One of the electrodes in the handbook drawing MUST be called a supplement, and bonding the supplemntal electrode to the water pipe is not one of the 4 options listed above, as per 250.53(D)(2).
Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Member Spotlight
Member Since: 08/22/05
Posts: 44
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9
Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals