ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64927 - 04/21/06 07:52 PM Electric BB Heat on Vinyl siding
Redsy Offline
Loc: Bucks County PA
A customer wants elecrtic baseboard heat in a screen room, but the walls have vinyl siding on the interior. I think the heat might melt the vinyl. Any thougths?

Thanks
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#64928 - 04/21/06 08:14 PM Re: Electric BB Heat on Vinyl siding
togol Offline
Loc: NW In. USA
I agree,

........I love the smell of burning Vinyl in the morning.....it smells like ........stupidity
#64929 - 04/22/06 06:03 AM Re: Electric BB Heat on Vinyl siding
Redsy Offline
Loc: Bucks County PA
I found installation instructions from tha Grainger website, and they don't wanted it mounted on vinyl wall paper.
Oh well, I guess they will need to replace the vinyl with drywall.
Thanks anyway.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 04-22-2006).]
#64930 - 04/22/06 06:11 AM Re: Electric BB Heat on Vinyl siding
Celtic Offline
Loc: NJ
It's not the BACK of the heater...it's the area ABOVE the heater that will see the most damage. (Heat rises - even in the new millenium )

I do not think it's a very good idea to install an elec. BB heater on vinyl siding.

I also think the heat will be wasted in a screen room....poorly insulated (if at all)...ill fitting (window/screen)panels..etc.
#64931 - 04/22/06 06:25 AM Re: Electric BB Heat on Vinyl siding
earlydean Offline
Loc: Griswold, CT, USA
OR, one could place a heat shield behind the baseboard heater and a foot or so above. Metal, sheetrock, tile or cement board come to mind for acceptable material.
#64932 - 04/22/06 03:56 PM Re: Electric BB Heat on Vinyl siding
Alan Belson Offline
Loc: Mayenne N. France
Anyone care to explain a 'screen room' to this ancient limey ignoramus? I imagined a 'cine-projector' room at first, but that can't be right from reading the later posts.

Alan
#64933 - 04/22/06 04:23 PM Re: Electric BB Heat on Vinyl siding
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Loc: Blue Collar Country
I think that by "screen room," an enclosed, screened-in porch (or rear deck) is what is meant. Such a place would have the outer siding of the house as one of the walls; the others would probably be of minimal construction.

I also recently installed a heater on an open terrace. Somehow the whole idea of 'standing outside' while seeking shelter from the elements fails to make any sense to me!

In the case of the heater I installed, the instructions were quite explicit as to clearances expected in different mounting positions.
#64934 - 04/22/06 08:46 PM Re: Electric BB Heat on Vinyl siding
Celtic Offline
Loc: NJ
It's more of a "3-season porch" ....spring/summer/fall. You can opt for screens or glass depening on the weather.

Here's an inside look:

Notice the "exterior fixture" in the 1 O'clock position?
Classic tip off of a "spontaneous construction" event...if they had planned this out better (or even at all) they would have ditched that POS fixture....also, see any outlets around there...any lamps/overhead fixtures?

People will simply "enclose" a typically rear porch and call it a "3-season" or "screened".

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 51
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 17
Trumpy 16
Ruben Rocha 13

Newest Members
clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2, sureshazhagai

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals