Now Available!

Recent Posts
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
Yesterday at 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
Is this a fix or just a bandaid?
by gfretwell
10/10/16 06:49 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63915 - 03/26/06 02:46 AM Licenses Classification
Chris Simms Offline

Loc: Cohutta Ga
In the state of GA we have 2 classes for electrical licenses, Class 1 is 200 amps or less residential only and Class 2 is EVERYTHING else including class 1

Currently I hold a class 1 licenses and have been wiring only 1 200 amp panel per house but the houses are starting to get bigger and will require 2 400 amp panels. The GA sos web page has this clause in their Rules for electrical licensing
(Statewide classI electrical contractor licenses are restricted to electrical contracting involving single-phase electrical installations which do
not exceed 200 amperes at the service drop or the service lateral. Class II electrical contractor licenses are unrestricted.)

I have had several other electricians to tell me that if the panels are only 200 amps then I am covered under the class 1 license.
Any Thoughts on this?
Chris Simms

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#63916 - 03/26/06 06:51 AM Re: Licenses Classification
Electric Eagle Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Chris, I'm a GA class 2 EC. I have heard what you're sayig about being allowed to do the 400 amp houses with a class 1. I personally don't see why not, it's just 2 - 200 amp services in 1. However, my opinion is not the 1 that counts, you need to call the cheif electrical inspector for the county where the job is and ask for permission. I have heard that most of the time they will let you, especially if you regularly work in that area and they know you.

Personally, I think they need to change the classifications in Georgia to all residential and unrestricted. When they started licensing 99% of residential work was under 200 amps, now 400 and 600 amps are more common than 200 in my area.

#63917 - 03/26/06 12:59 PM Re: Licenses Classification
Chris Simms Offline

Loc: Cohutta Ga
I will try to talk to the CBO in Dalton and see if they will grant the permission to do 400 amps. I plan to talk to our congressman about how to go about getting these 200 amp restrictions changed

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals