Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 230 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62612 - 02/21/06 01:53 AM Ferro Resonance
RODALCO Offline

Loc: Titirangi, Akld, New Zealand
We have the odd problems relivening the older 11 kV polyloom cables in our network, after either transformer maintenance or upgrade.

These are 11 kV single core screened cables.

These circuits are usually fitted with ddo's and to avoid the inrush surge, we either liven 1Ø first, then the other 2Øs at the same time with 2 sets of fuse sticks.
Or the other way around, liven 2Øs first, then the third phase.

We isolate the secondary transformer fuses to avoid single phasing of motors, do a secondary voltage check before inserting the LV fuses.

Ok easiest would be to drop the feeder briefly, insert ddo's and liven all 3Øs at once, this usually avoids the ferro resonance problem. Of course our controlroom doesn't like that so it's out of the question.

I have heard of putting a resistive load on the TF secondary. like a 2 kW heater to "soften" the inrush to the transformer, Not had much luck with it yet.

Usually it's BANG !! and one ddo blows up, we have a cable fault on the polyloom and put in a generator(s) for the time being if we can't backfeed the 11 kV.

There are lots of theoretical explanations of above topic on Google but has any one practical experience with this fenomena and the best way to minimise the blow ups?

The best way is of course replace the cables, they are over 30 years old and are not armoured, only screened with a thin Cu sleeve and then black PVC sheeth.

Thanks, Ray

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#62613 - 02/21/06 02:53 PM Re: Ferro Resonance
WFO Offline

Loc: Cat Spring, TX
Not that I'm going to come up with anything practical here, but I'm a still a little confused on your hookup. What is the transformer primary and secondary voltage and configuration (ie-wye/wye, wye/delta, etc.)?

[This message has been edited by WFO (edited 02-21-2006).]

#62614 - 02/21/06 03:26 PM Re: Ferro Resonance
RODALCO Offline

Loc: Titirangi, Akld, New Zealand
Primary 11 kV Delta.
Secondary 230 / 415 Volts star.
M.E.N. system
Dy 11

#62615 - 02/22/06 05:19 PM Re: Ferro Resonance
WFO Offline

Loc: Cat Spring, TX
Quote:
"I have heard of putting a resistive load on the TF secondary. like a 2 kW heater to "soften" the inrush to the transformer, Not had much luck with it yet."

The quick answer here is I don't know.
I do know that when we go to take our capacitor banks off line in the substation, they come off a whole lot easier if the buss is still loaded than after we've transferred all the load off.
I'm sure it's got something to do with resonance, but beyond that, I'm clueless.

You might try re-posting that question here http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=238&page=1

#62616 - 02/22/06 08:17 PM Re: Ferro Resonance
HighPotter Offline

Loc: So. Cal
In my experience, a 3 gang operated switch is best used in situations like this.

But if ya dont have one, it's safer to close in WITH load, then without.

HP

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals