ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Installing an outdoor panel for an indoor underground aquarium tank which will have 2 or 3 pump motors, probably similar to pool pump motors. A main 200 amp panel feeds a 125 amp sub-panel panel, then I will come off the 125a sub-panel with a.. probably 60 amp outdoor panel for the aquarium tank, the ones they use on pools (tan colored) for pump motors etc., should work ok. I think they hold about 8 circuits. Or is there a better type to use?. Should be ok to run a sub-panel off another sub-panel, correct?

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
Aldav53:

As long as the 'loads' are within the capacity of the OCP's you could do sub-panels to the 10th power(?) Check your connected loads, and perhaps do a quick load calc.

Any 3R panel would be acceptable outside, as long as it;s properly sized. (# of available circuits; ampacity of main lugs)

Hopefully, this is the type answers you're looking for.

John

John
A
aldav53 Offline OP
The home has a 400a service fed with 2 mains split into 2 - 200a panels. Each 200a panel has a 125a off it. I'm using 1 of the 125a sub-panels. But your right I'll have to do a quick load calc.
I've seen a lot of those (tan colored) sub-panels, they usually have a built in GFI recept and reciever for a remote pool light control inside the panel. But guess I don't need that. A regular outdoor 8 or 12 circuit panel should work, fed with #6's probably, as long as it doesn't exceed the 125a panel load.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
Also, pool pump motors aren't fed with a GFI breaker, but spa's are. Why is that? If I use a GFI breaker to feed the aquarium pump motors, not sure if thats required?
I'll post this in the code section too.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
The load on this aquarium wil have 1 - 18a heater, 1 - 18a chiller, (not used at the same time), a 10a pump, and 3 - 4amp motors for other stuff.

Link Copied to Clipboard