ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wendel Offline OP
Rather than a copper-clad steel rod, is it acceptable to use an 8 foot piece of 3/4" copper pipe (driven into the ground) as a ground rod? Is there a requirement that the grounding rod be solid or is that to make it easier to hammer it into the ground?

W
Thats a good question I would say yes because it would be the same as using the water supply as a GE. but some one will probably prove me wrong.

Thanks.
G
It would probably have to be listed for the purpose

W
see what did i tell you. lol
geno, makes a good point. it would have to be listed for that purpose.

[This message has been edited by Wizzie Electric (edited 01-17-2006).]

Thanks.
A
Two words: "Not listed". However......

Stick an old gate valve and solder a copper 90 on to the end of it so that it technically becomes part of the water supply system and VIOLA, its acceptable.

See we all thought plumbers were out there to make life difficult, and as it turns out [Linked Image]

R
Look at 250.52(A)(5). There is no requirement that a pipe used as a grounding electrode be a listed product.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
W
wendel Offline OP
The only physical requirement for a copper ground rod I can think of is that the volume of copper per inch in the grounding electrode be equal to or greater than the volume of copper per inch in the connecting/bonding wire. Otherwise a surge current could generate enough heat to melt the electrode while the connecting wire was still intact. Unlikely, but we're talking hypothetical extremes to help understand the right way to do things.

G
I would be worried about corrosion as the intent of the copper pipe was not to be buried.

If youre going to pretend it's plumbing (by nailing an old gate valve on top), it needs:-
a] to be at least 10 feet long.
b] an additional earth driven rod too!- see 250.53(D)(2)

Alan

Wood work but can't!
R
wendel,
The only physical requirement for a copper ground rod I can think of is that the volume of copper per inch in the grounding electrode be equal to or greater than the volume of copper per inch in the connecting/bonding wire.
The code does not contain any such requirement. 250.52(A)(5) permits the use of any metal pipe at least 8' long and with a minimum size of 3/4" to be used as a grounding electrode.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard