ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#60949 01/13/06 05:59 PM
T
Do they make meter banks that hold 3 meters?

I have a house that was turned into a 3 unit apartment.

I was planning on using a 3 meter disconnect bank. Then going with main lug sub panels. but... .

The dryers and ranges are all old 3 wire. If I run sub fed panels I will need to upgrade these old wires. I really don't want to do that.

So I need just regular meters. I know the electric company has dual meter cans for 1 drop but I havent seen 3 meter, cans for 1 drop. .. Do they make something like this?

Shake n Bake
R
I believe they do. an " SDC-320-PW" I believe is a Hydell 3 gang base, 200A main, 100 A per position with a " wiring compartment" for use with O/H or U/G feed..
This is a straight meter socket with no disconnects built in, I have never seen one like that. If you need to have a form of disconnect outside, you may need a separate weatherproof disconnect for each service going in the bldg..

A.D

Cat Servant
I would hope that they still did!

Around here, it is quite common to see three meters, arranged vertically, with a lower compartment tht contains a disconnect/ main breaker for each service.

The only "fly in the ointment" is that these generally have 70 amp breakers; I am not sure that such equipment is suitable for 100 amp service, which is the minimum these days.

C
http://www.tyett.com/images/panelbox.jpg

..you mean like this?

For a 3-family, you *may* need a 4th meter - for the house/common power. Check with your AHJ about this, some areas have this requirement - some don't.

What you "want", may not be what's "required". In NJ, a substantial renovation like the one you describe (re-zoning, over 50%, etc) might trigger a complete renovation requirement.

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 01-13-2006).]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
T
Yep Celtic that what I need.

Thanks for the help guys. I did talk with the inspector and took care of all his concerns inside already.. hes ok with the no house panel.

Shake n Bake

Link Copied to Clipboard